Zero Chassis Failure

Guest boggybogstar

Guest boggybogstar

Ive had an "issue" with my Zero chassis which potentially is a weak point in my view and it maybe worth other Zero owners making sure they are ok.

there was a previous post about this and it turned out that the early chassis models (I think the first 5) were not traingulated and were thought to be the weak ones, however my chassis is a 2009 chassis with the correct traingulations and I think the same as the ones leaving the factory now.

Full details are here

http://southernkitcars.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=4455

Thankfully Im all sorted now, I must admit to be sitting on the fence slightly on GBS responsibility because the existing wishbone brackets were only spot welded and I think the split started on the weak part of the bracket - anyway, please check your chassis and make sure you dont have the same issue.

Your picture shouts "Stress fracture" so were all wishbones free to rotate on the crush tubes? And IMHO a grease nipple added to the w/bone polybush end is a good upgrade; even if no lube is required on the poly bushes the grease prevents water ingress & corrosion.

Guest boggybogstar

Hi Bob, yes, all crush tubes were tightened correctly enough to be tight but free moving - the wishbone bracket had limited welding to hold it in, the rear side of the bracket had hardly any weld allowingit to twist if it wanted (bad thing!)

Guest oddsocks

Ive had an "issue" with my Zero chassis which potentially is a weak point in my view and it maybe worth other Zero owners making sure they are ok.

there was a previous post about this and it turned out that the early chassis models (I think the first 5) were not traingulated and were thought to be the weak ones, however my chassis is a 2009 chassis with the correct traingulations and I think the same as the ones leaving the factory now.

Full details are here

http://southernkitca....php?f=7&t=4455

Thankfully Im all sorted now, I must admit to be sitting on the fence slightly on GBS responsibility because the existing wishbone brackets were only spot welded and I think the split started on the weak part of the bracket - anyway, please check your chassis and make sure you dont have the same issue.

Thanks for bring this up tony, i'll be have a good look at mine 2mor. Hope it was more to do with the wildlife you hit than a problem with the chassis.

Guest boggybogstar

just to avoid confusion though, this has nothing to do with hitting any wildlife, the badger merely bought it to my attention, the failure has been there for a number of months, its been ok for about 2 and a half years and about 30k and was ok when irepainted that part of tge chassis late last year (or so i thought), i must admit to bieng very concerned as to why its happened!