Three Cylinder Pinto, Any Ideas

ivan the terrible

hi,went to stoneliegh in the kit and had an issue, a few of you will already know about it as you kindly had a look for me back at the campsite, the problem seems to be that cylinder no4 dosn't do much, car runs but very rough,pull out no4 ht lead and no difference in engine running, thought it might be ht leads, no, plugs, no, dizzy cap, no, rotor arm, no, had cam cover off everything seems to be ok, but i'm no expert, infact complete beginner, took plug out and it seems to be the right colour, a light brown, so i thought i would ask for your help and ideas, thanks ivan

I'd also go with a compression test as your first port of call. I have one you can borrow. I'd pop across mate, but mine is also off the road at the moment :db:

PM me if you want to borrow it

I'd also go with a compression test as your first port of call. I have one you can borrow. I'd pop across mate, but mine is also off the road at the moment :db:

PM me if you want to borrow it

no not done a compression test, could drive over to yours at the weekend, you're putting yours back together then aren't you?

Agree with comp. test.

Did you check valve c learances?

Too tight & theres no compression giving those symptoms.

Does it spit back from the carb?

Otherwise just follow the suggestions above...

get the occasional spit back from the carb, and popping from the exhaust on deceleration

no not done a compression test, could drive over to yours at the weekend, you're putting yours back together then aren't you?

Hi Mate,

PM sent. More than welcome to pop across. looking at 10ish Sat morning

Guest MarkB

Have you got servo assisted brakes? If so check pipes from manifold for leaks, if you ain't got servo assisted check the bolt used to block the hole in the intake ain't letting air in, spray some brake cleaner round the intake whilst running, see if the engine note changes. If the first two points are a problem it will affect number 4 pot big time.

I'd do a compression test, see what that looks like, then check the valve clearances and if all looks fine then book the South Yorks mob to come and drink tea eat biscuits and chilli and strip the engine....

S.yorks mob can strip a pinto, clean it, rebuild it and chuck it back in the car all on a cold winter's day! As Nicko!! :)

is the plug wet when you remove it after trying to start or having been run?

If it's dry there's no fuel getting there so could be a blocked jet on one of your webers, it could well be the 'right' colour from last time it actually ran on that cylinder if a jet is blocked

Have you got servo assisted brakes? If so check pipes from manifold for leaks, if you ain't got servo assisted check the bolt used to block the hole in the intake ain't letting air in, spray some brake cleaner round the intake whilst running, see if the engine note changes. If the first two points are a problem it will affect number 4 pot big time.

no not got servo brakes, had a look for bolt blocking intake hole but me being a thick joiner can't see one, (its probably staring me in the face)

Looks like Ivan is coming across to mine on Saturday for the engine/ clutch re-fit. He is bringing his kit along, so we can have a good poke around in his engine bay to see whats going on. Only thing I don't have for Ivan is a timing light so if any of you who can pop across can brig one would be a big help.

Planning to start at 10ish again