Where To Put The Fusebox

Jon Bradbury

I put mine on the tunnel top above the bell housing. I wouldn't necessarily recommend you put it there though, as the loom falls really awkwardly and you end up with a great bundle that's impossible to get rid of.

It also makes it a bit of a squeeze later on in the build when you try and find space for the heater/wipers/washer bottle etc.

The most natural place for the loom would be to put the fuse box above the drivers footwell, as that's where it was in the Sierra (or at least that's where mine was). That way the loom falls nicely around the car and you shouldn't have to shorten/lengthen everything.

Initially I put the fuse box in the center above the gearbox bell housing, but could then not fit the heater and had a large coil of messy wires to deal with. I subsequntly moved it to the space above the passenger footwell behind the battery like piddy.

Richard

Guest Anthony B

As part of my recent re build job, I moved the fuse box from in the passenger footwell to the bulkhead. This was just so as not to have that many wires under the dash passing in and out through the holes in the bulkhead.

I have removed all of the white multi plugs and soldered and shrink sleeved all of the joints and loomed it all together again.

This has made a pretty tidy job.I took out about 6" from each wire to shorten them back to allow it to be loomed much neater.

One thing I did come across is that large amounts of the loom are not fuse protected and so I have installed a main fuse about 6" down the positive lead from the battery. This is currently 60 amps and seems fine and gives me a lot more peace of mind from short circuits with all those wires and sharp edges.

The heater is all inside the car as I replated the bulkhead in stainless. The heater sits on the tunnel top attached to the steering column hoop bracket and fits and works very well (VW polo type)

Hope this helps.

Ant