Confused Dipsticks!

Guest slimesub5

Guest slimesub5

Just a couple of questions regarding shortened sumps and dipsticks......

With a Pinto shortened sump (without additional section welded on the side) what volume of oil should it now take?

I have 2 dipsticks, one from a 2.0 & one from a 1.6. One longer than the other. Not sure which one to use in my 2.0.

The longer one would put the oil level just below bottom of big end shell, the shorter dipstick the shells would dip into the oil a bit.

When I use the longer dipstick (lower level) I'm only using about 2.5ish L of oil!!!!

Any help appreciated....

You don't want the crank dipping the oil at 6,500rpm

The result is froth and no oil pressure

There is a thread on Locostbuilders about dipsticks and the results are confusing

It's as much about the tube length and the matching dipstick

One thing said was that the oil should be 1/2" below the crank

2.5 litres is to little IMHO, its not just about lubrication the oil also cools, less oil, hotter running engine

I would run as much oil as you can and consider weld a wing on for more capacity in the future

Looking at the Tiger forum and found the capacity of a Pinto is 3.25L or 3.75 with filter

Short sump no extension 2.5L

So your sump volume is correct but still IMHO to little for safety

Edited by Snapperpaul

when i shortend my sump i measured its capacity to the point paul mentions 1/2 below the crank, once fitted i filled it with that exact amount regardless of what the dipstick said. If the dip stick is the right one for the engine and tube then it will be correct what ever you have done to the sump.

Mine took a smidge under 5litres with the forward extention that was welded in

• Like 1

When I rolling roaded mine at Torque tune I asked him this very question and he said the dipstick would be right whatever you had done to the sump as long as the tube was the same .... so what Dan said.

Guest mower man

The dipstick on my car,as bought , shortened sump would hit the bottom of the sump and bend ago across the sump ,I, put up with this for ages , not to long ago decided to do something about it , I carefully put the dipstick and felt for it touching bottom [?]and measured between the stop and the top of the tube,removed stick pulld the blade out of it angry ground afore mentioned length and replace blade bit in the stick [this in an empty sump which is also extended forwards] put in 4 ltrs of oil, wonderbar level just above max ran engine up recheck and added 1/2 alitre [filled new filter up ] back to max happy boy :clapping: :rofl: mower man capacity is 4.5 litres with filter change

The dipstick should only really tell you where the maximum mark is. To go above this will mean the crank hitting the top of the oil.

It should not matter WHAT sump you put on it as the dipstick is still at the same level. You could have put a barrel under the engine just as long as the dipstick says "MAX" you should be ok.

(Of course if you DID put a barrel under the engine, speedbumps and cost of oil would be a bigger problem :) )

Simon.

Guest slimesub5

That's great thanks for your help...... I think I'll go with the longer dipstick.

The main reason I asked this question is I have a problem where my oil light comes on slowing down and hard right turns. I thought the low oil may be the problem.

So, I lowered the sump enough to check the height of the oil pick up gauze. I thought it was going to be way high. But it measures 140mm, the depth of te sump measures wait for it 140mm!!!

What would be the symptoms be with this so low? I guess this coud cause oil starvation?

it could! in addition, check your oil filter has a non return valve (usual symptom is the oil light taking a few seconds to switch off after startup) as cheap motor factor filters don't. This also reduces your capacity, as you're always measuring the level after the filter has drained out again.

Guest mower man

I had an oilpressure prob after a soft sump grounding at donninton only a big tussock of grass but it pushed the bottom of the sump up tight to thepickup virtualy stopping the pumpsucking up oil ,liberal appof no2 adjustment instument [2lb weight min ] and a few 1mm holes in the top of the pickup as a makesure nomore probs mowerman :acute: :clapping: