S7 Roll Bar Strengthening And Harness Bar

theduck

Currently my "roll bar" is really more cosmetic than structural, but as I need to add a bar to run my harnesses over (to raise effective anchorage point) I need to strengthen the mounting points to make it a structural component and so keep IVA man happy.

Rear mounts look like this

4A727E04-0E29-436B-9F08-E03DD5258874-4119-000004F14AD19996.jpg

With these I intend to move the mount below the existing brace for the harness mounts as this should provide sufficient load spreading, I think... 30mm x 4mm x 880mm

What I am stuck with is the front leg mounts which currently look as below, I hasten to add this not my handy work and something I have never really been happy with

19E3CCDE-3ED8-490E-8DF1-84705BD0B380-1926-0000027190F288A1.jpg

Thoughts on this so far are to add a load spreading plate (5mm thick and 200x100mm) on the otherside directly opposite from where this photo was taken as use the existing unused hole and drill a second In between the two horizontal bolts to add strength there, but not sure what to do about the wooden wedge an those bolts? I don't have the ability or tooling to make up a metal replacement which would seem the ideal Option?

Last of all, how would you go about adding the required bar to this roll bar?

16B1D6E7-C86F-4CF8-A8A7-BDBFD27DDD3E-5847-00000AA3D8780CC8.jpg

Could I simply get a suitable piece of tube and bolt it between the front two legs or would I need to get it welded in?

Thanks in advance

Need to make the alterations to pass IVA as I need to raise the effective anchorage point of the rear harness mounts, which basically means run the harnesses over a bar on the roll bar, which in turn makes the roll bar structural. Unfortunately I can't get the seat low enough or rear harness eyes high enough to meet the required measurements.

I did mods for SVA, ran angle from bar upright to rear of tub,

Triangulated from bar to rear mount stay

Welded crush robes in upright and bolted through side of tub with load spreaders

Put thick plat under tubes on boot floor

Welded cross bar for seat belts to run over

Will try and upload some photos tomorrow as they are at work and I'm not

• 11 months later...
Guest mdav1970

Hi Paul,

I have a similiar issue as to where to mount the 3 point harness, I can see from your pictures how to run it from the rear, but what i'm struggling with is the seat mounted area. I have supplied with the harness 2 thick steel rectangular plates that just have a nut welded slightly off set in the middle, which i presume is for the rear mounting and 2 steel plated that is like a T piece with 4 holes in each corner and then a large loop, i dont have a clue on these 2.

On mine the welded nut plate went under the floor near the tunnel but yours may be better in the tunnel

My outer mount I Han to make with a sheet of steel and a welded nut on a plate which mounted outside the tub behind the rear bulkhead just above the Sierra cross beam