Why A Robin Hood?

Guest David Thomas

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Lowlife

The wrong v5?? How is this possible? So if its not registered correctly it would have to be tested again?

Going way back before IVA / SVA to register a kit car all you had to do was build a car from a donor vehicle, change the relevant ifo on the V5 (engine number, colour, no. of doors etc), get the car MOT'd, present car at local DVLA office to have it inspected (this took 5 minutes to check engine number and chassis number matches) and that was it! For example my very first kit was a T & J Hornet but on the V5 it was registered as a Ford Cortina Estate 2 door convertible. All legal AT THE TIME, when the SVA rules were introduced there was a bit of an amnesty at perviously registered cars could have the V5 updated, not everyone did so, or built a second kit from the first so you then get a V5 stating a 2B being a dutton for example.

Guest alfaGTA

The wrong v5?? How is this possible? So if its not registered correctly it would have to be tested again?

Going way back before IVA / SVA to register a kit car all you had to do was build a car from a donor vehicle, change the relevant ifo on the V5 (engine number, colour, no. of doors etc), get the car MOT'd, present car at local DVLA office to have it inspected (this took 5 minutes to check engine number and chassis number matches) and that was it! For example my very first kit was a T & J Hornet but on the V5 it was registered as a Ford Cortina Estate 2 door convertible. All legal AT THE TIME, when the SVA rules were introduced there was a bit of an amnesty at perviously registered cars could have the V5 updated, not everyone did so, or built a second kit from the first so you then get a V5 stating a 2B being a dutton for example.

Absolutely as Lowlife explained.

In simple terms taking it back to the Mazda's. Imagine a mx5 and an rx8, both look a bit the same (to the untrained eye atleast) but an mx5 that stated rx8 on the v5 is infact not as described and is a ringer.

Likewise a brand spanking new kitcar built using all new parts but has the registration plate, chassis plate and v5 from a cheap rotten kitcar is a ringer. The v5 must match the make and model of kitcar exactly, chassis number and engine number must all tally.

Luckily for you David the lads on here have a very keen eye for those ringers and have saved quite alot of men from making schoolboy errors in the past so if you find a car post a link up here and have it torn to pieces so you don't end up in a prison cell with your pants down :friends:

Guest David Thomas

That's very informative and reassuring that help is offered as long as I take the correct steps before I buy one.

It's becoming more of a daunting task buying a built one, I may rethink my thoughts and opt for a starter kit and live in my garage lol

Guest David Thomas

save enough money and buy one of forum lol at least you should no its history or someone else might. :crazy:

That to be fair is the best thing I could do, especially as you said the history of the car will be good and if there were any doubt someone on here would verify the build

• 3 weeks later...
Guest David Thomas

Just to keep this updated, I couldn't look a gift horse in the mouth I have now got a mx5 mk1 import, I was against it at first but to be fair it was free it runs like a dream it's got just over 60,000 it's had a little bump at the front,

I have the bumper off and the wing depending on how I can fix it I may turn it into a 2b

Guest David Thomas

Lol, it's depending on how much rot I find, although having the front end off the car I do look at it and think well it's nearly stripped just do it lol.

Guest chris brown

Rather than just using the engine and maybe the gearbox in a 2B why not go for a MX5 Zero and use the Eunos as the donor rather than having old (harder to get) Ford parts?

Guest David Thomas

To be fair I think I misunderstood something I read, If I decide to do a kit car I will be doing one that has the basis of the mx5 it would be very stupid not to utilise the whole car as I already have the parts needed. I have been pushed further into the kit car direction today as I have found that 2 wires for the electric window mechanism cost £40 wtf two wires? I know parts are expensive but I can get a new mechanism for £30 including wires.

Taking the urine!