Timing Belt Change

ivan the terrible

hi all, just bought a new viehicle for work, some of you may laugh, gasp or just think i'm daft, some of you might think it's ok, anyway it's a KIA SEDONA 2.9 CRD, it's done 68,000 on a 54 plate and needs a new timing belt, my question is how much roughly should it cost to have it changed, been advised to change water pump at the same time, if it had been the 2B iwould have done it myself, but it looks a bit to complecated for me, just wondered if anyone has had any experience of these at all, and their veiws, thanks ivan

Hi,

--- DANGER Will Robinson, DANGER --- :)

With timing belts on the side (as most FWD are) I was given the tip that you can put a trolley jack under the sump to take weight of engine and remove the mounting point so you can jack the engine up just enough to give you more free room to fit these.

This being a diesel engine though, it probably is an interference engine - I.e the valves and cylinders can occupy the same space (preferably not at the same time !) So once you have re-fit the belt, you MUST turn the engine over by hand first in case there are any collisions between valve and head (if the timing had slipped while re-fitting).

Also, with a diesel, is this an injection pump also timed by the engine or the other type with high pressure injectors ?

Just thought I'd drop a warning in here :)

Simon.

I turn every engine over by hand petrol or diesel when fitting a timing belt if it don't do a full revolution and line timing marks back up then wrong always better safe than sorry :crazy:

Guest mower man

I turn every engine over by hand petrol or diesel when fitting a timing belt if it don't do a full revolution and line timing marks back up then wrong always better safe than sorry :crazy:

Thats the proper way to do it !! mowerman

Guest alfaGTA

I read an article recently about timing belt changes.... One suggestion was to split the existing belt lengthways using a stanley knife then remove the "front" half, slip the new belt on and then remove the "back" half of the old belt before sliding the new belt fully into place. Not sure how you'd change the water pump with that method though.... Failing that i'm sure Mark B will look after you

alfa not sure how you would get a new belt on that way as you have to tension them up so they don't slip and there is not much slack when tensioned but would like to see someone change one like that . I am sure someone will of done it though.ivan its just remembering what goes where lol

I read an article recently about timing belt changes.... One suggestion was to split the existing belt lengthways using a stanley knife then remove the "front" half, slip the new belt on and then remove the "back" half of the old belt before sliding the new belt fully into place. Not sure how you'd change the water pump with that method though.... Failing that i'm sure Mark B will look after you

I've done that on my old pinto and it works fine, but I don't know about other engines. What I did was....

1) take spark plugs out so you can turn it over on the starter at a decent speed.

2) got a mate to crank it over on the starter and i offered a sharp Stanley blade up to the belt to slice through the middle whilst it was spinning

3) very slightly, slacken off the belt tension wheel.

4) with a pair of cutters, snip the front half of the belt off.

5) slip the new belt on about 1/3 it's width.

6) now snip the second half of the belt off

7) push the new belt all the way on

8) tighten up tensioner