Engine Cutting Out - Intermittent Fault.

Background, kit car almost ready for IVA. Ford xflow with Accuspark coil, distributor, leads and new plugs, fitted with facet high flow 2.5-4 psi electronic fuel pump (black plastic model). It is fitted with twin dellortos and piper air filter. Using sierra wiring loom. The car has been running for months including on tick over and high revs on driveway to check cooling system and driven on private property to test brakes, steering etc.

However recently it has an intermittent fault which I cannot pin point due to engine stopping before any readings can be obtained. So engine starts fine, runs for 30 seconds to 1 minutes then stops, immediately switch ignition off then the car re-starts straight away with no delay.

Checked so far;

Fuel OK 15 litres in tank

Battery voltage low so on charge for a few days

Spark upto spark plugs OK used LED spark plug testers

Gunson colourtune - right colour not rich or weak

Fuel pump does not cut out and whilst I have not used a pressure gauge, pumps well into container and then thumb over pipe indicates good pressure, plus as said before it has been running very well.

Also check fuel chambers in carbs all OK

Tested coil and replace coil with known good coil.

Thought ignition relay but tested and even bypassed same fault occurs.

Could be dizzy electronic module fault - not sure how to test except it does produce a spark. I can return to accuspark for testing but thought I would check for other ideas.

No rush working away from home for a few days, next garage time will be the weekend.

Any advice appreciated thank you.

Guest mower man

It's the dreaded I'LL PISS YOU ABOUT SYNDROME there is alot about at present I think thebig lump in space that passed earth at 3.5million miles distance has upset a forcefield and goosed numerous RHOCAR members cars mine included mower man :crazy: :aggressive: :crazy: ok I'm barmy but it gets you thatway sometimes :sorry:

Edited by mower man

Guest MarkB

Mark and mick, get your timing lights out, put the sensor wire on your king lead, see what the light output does, when my dizzy hall sensor went down I had spark fuel cream cakes the whole works, accidently put the sensor lead on the king lead and straight away saw a light pattern that some alien was using to call mother ship, not a constant strobe but a morse code message saying 'your hall sensors knackered dot dot dash dash'

You aren't getting a vacuum in the tank because of a blocked inlet valve?

Simple check, remove filler cap and try and see if the problem stops. Do you hear a sudden inrush of air when removing it?

It could be just enough to stop the fuel flow and by the time you have restarted, enough air has re-entered the tank.

I can't imagine that that's the problem though.

Simon.

Guest peter2b2002

my 2b efi had the same type of problem last year, hall effect sensor only gave 7 volts not 12 volts giving causing the engine to run ok for 5 - 10 mins then back firing dieing then restarted ok a couple of times

peter2b

Guest mower man

You aren't getting a vacuum in the tank because of a blocked inlet valve?

Simple check, remove filler cap and try and see if the problem stops. Do you hear a sudden inrush of air when removing it?

It could be just enough to stop the fuel flow and by the time you have restarted, enough air has re-entered the tank.

I can't imagine that that's the problem though.

Simon.

tank vented problem is lack of spark and can't see how a fuel prob would affect ign probs really mower man

Guest mower man

I guess not. The problem sounds more electrical if it cuts out abruptly as you say.

I was just clutching at straws really ... :)

Simon.

I have been doing that for 10 days hopefully Mark will put me right at the weekend ,never been so frustrated for a long time mowerman[ mick]

Guest mower man

Big celebrations tonight found my non start fault ,decided to check it out allover again timing both valve and distib position bangon even checked correct lift on inlet cam at right place perhaps 1 deg out but its not that drastic took it that newly fitted coil and HT leads okay so tracing LT leads feeling very gently for soft spots in insulation i.e. broken wire traced black lead to side of dizzy, followed suit on red wire no resistance to very light pull took cap of distrib to find red wire detached from trigger unit end visible looks like dry joint it has got to be the prob contacted supplier requesting replacement ,so hope fully will be running for Newark ,fingers and other things crossed ,mower man

Edited by mower man

Found the fault ballast wire in the original sierra loom was faulty. Coil OK on start up with battery voltage, once started ignition switched to 9 volts but the ballast wire resistance was to high only 5-6 volts was getting through. Found it by running jumper wire (fused) direct from battery to coil.

Thank you for your help.