Getting To The Iva

nigelt

Guest shaggy

what tow it on a trailer. or tow rope?

Don't think that would be looked on very kindly by the examiner.

Best way is either insure it and drive it there, or hire a trailer

If you mean tow on a rope then technically you probably could do but I think it's considered "potentially dangerous" so ropes are only really suitable for emergency use.

Trailering is fine as long as you don't exceed the towing weight limits and your licence allows you to tow.No special insurance needed that I'm aware of but probably worth checking the insurance on the towing vehicle. Kit doesn't need to be insured for IVA but probably worth having it covered just in case you have a mishap.

If the kit is fully insured (on VIN number because it isn't currently registered), you can legally drive it to the IVA. However, if you fail on a major safety point, they won't allow you to drive it home so you'd need a backup plan.

Trailering is probably the safest and best option.

Guest Vindi_andy

I drove mine there, was a great shake down and show the examiner you have confidence in your build.

Insured through 2gether insurance on chassis no. which gave me a while cant remember how long before I had to either give them the reg no. or terminate.

Why not drive it there?

I did think about that, but I would have to do a six mile detour to avoid all the stupid speed bumps that are higher than the regulation, in our town. I only have about a 3-3.5 inch clearence from the chaisis member that passes in front of the sump. I might still do it though as I will find out how it handles.

Nige

I did think about that, but I would have to do a six mile detour to avoid all the stupid speed bumps that are higher than the regulation, in our town. I only have about a 3-3.5 inch clearence from the chaisis member that passes in front of the sump. I might still do it though as I will find out how it handles.

Nige

The detour is not a problem as that would be your shortest route to the IVA station after all.

I remember getting "lost" on the way back home after my IVA :)

Just as long as you have insurance AND the appointment letter for the test and your final destinations are the test centre and home, there is no problem. After all, you can't help getting "lost" if you have never been to the centre before :diablo:

Simon.

Get someone to come with you when you trailer it there then they can take the tow vehicle home after you have passed and you can drive the car home. You would look pretty stupid if you had to phone up to cancel if you had a breakdown on the way there. It doesn't matter how confident you are in your build it only takes one piddling little part to let you down. At least you'll know you are going to get there safely. What an old woman I am but I do speak from past experience, the older I get the worse I get! Good luck whatever you do

Kevin