Noisey Tin Top

ivan the terrible

hi all, have a problem with the wifes Renault megane, dropped her and her mates off in town on a hen night, looking forward to quiet night in, just set off then suddenly car became very loud, like exhaust had gone, hardly any power, got home and had a look and all the noise was around the back of the engine and a strong smell what I think is burnt diesel fumes, took engine cover off and put my hand near and there seemed to be air blowing out could I be mistaken and it is actually the turbo that's gone? again i'm just guessing, welcome any input and ideas, thanks ivan

Turbo failure tends to be more dramatic than you describe. They run very hot and rely on the cooling of the oil so if a seal goes or a bearing fails there is usually a lot of smoke. is all the pipework intact? If a pipe has split or come off then you may not get any boost hence lack of power.

Guest mower man

As above I would think a boost pipe has split or become detached so you are loosing boost had sim probs with Fiat turbo vans and drivers say it had blown up trace all large dia pipes looking for splits or detached joins HTH mowerman :sorry:

Guest JammyJim

As already said sounds like intercooler boost pipe, had it go on Jag. You might have to remove pipe to find split as when not under pressure it closes up.

JJ

Guest foxtrot

Might also be worth checking your injector seals to make sure the compression is not blowing by the injector. Tends to be more common on the citroen/peugeot Diesel..

Guest mower man

Might also be worth checking your injector seals to make sure the compression is not blowing by the injector. Tends to be more common on the citroen/peugeot Diesel..

not saying it does not happen but in 15 years of running Citroen and pogo deisels never known it ,they are usually that tight its a struggle to get them out but you live and learn , I can nearly guarantee Ivans probs are boost pipes mower man

Interestingly, I had an injector come loose on a C5 2.2HDI after 80 k miles. It worried me thinking I had blown a head gasket.....just 2 days before a planned drive to Spain.

Easy fixed, but a bit nervous for th efirst few French autoroute miles...

hi again, thanks to everyones input, it was a metal flexi pipe that had broke, had to use the required gynaecological skills to remove it, the skills that all you modern day mechanics need to have by the looks of it, just got to get a new one then refit it, simples (not), also a big thanks to biksz for popping round and giving helpful advice on this problem and the 2B, thanks stuart, once again thanks everyone, cheers ivan