Guest michael.lynockm

Guest michael.lynockm

Hi Guys & gals,

I'm just running-in my zero. I have fitted a stainless steel water overflow header tank (GBS supplied). After only a short runn I'm finding I need to top the water level up in the cooling system. Obviously not right. I came up the motorway yesterday and the cooling fan was going at take off speed and the gauge was at its limit! Could the pipes be the wrong way round? Do I have something missing? All parts are brand new.

Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

Regards

Mike

Guest Lowlife

One pipe is the overflow and is some way up the tank, the other is all the way to the bottom of the tank and should be the feed from the water rail, if you have them the wrong way round all the fluid which overflows will be evacuated form the tank. The system should find its own level!! I would check this first. Otherwise any signs of leaks etc???

Might be an idea to put up your location?

Cheers

John

I had a similar problem.

Check the filler cap. There should be TWO rubber seals on it. With mine, the top larger one was not there, so I made one from rubber sheet. This is required to provide an air tight seal around the top rim.

Without that air tight seal, any fluid that was expanded out into the overflow catch bottle will not be "sucked" back into the system as air will leak around the top of the filler cap instead.

Also, for this to work, the tube inside the overflow bottle must always be below the fluid level.

Once I made that rubber seal, the fluid found its own level and I have not had any more problems.

Also, make sure that there is no leak around the thermostat housing as I also had to file down the rim of the thermostat a little and also flattened the rim of the thermostat a little so that the gasket made a good seal.

Simon.