38 Dgas Carb

Jon Green

Hi all,

I've been given a weber 38 DGAS off dads Scimitar 3lt V6.

Currently I've got dellorto 40's that were rolling road tuned to a FR33 cam I had in. I've ditched the cam now, in favour of the standard one for drivability. The dellorto's are still jetted to the rally cam and it's running far to rich.

I'm fed up with the dellorto carbs now and want something less fiddly to set up.

My question is, is the 38 DGAS an option (as its free) or should I spend and get something else?

cheers

Jon

Guest donaldthomps

Hi all,

I've been given a weber 38 DGAS off dads Scimitar 3lt V6.

Currently I've got dellorto 40's that were rolling road tuned to a FR33 cam I had in. I've ditched the cam now, in favour of the standard one for drivability. The dellorto's are still jetted to the rally cam and it's running far to rich.

I'm fed up with the dellorto carbs now and want something less fiddly to set up.

My question is, is the 38 DGAS an option (as its free) or should I spend and get something else?

cheers

Jon

I had a 38 on my 2.1 pinto and they performed great after rolling road setup

Guest donaldthomps

I also have a weber 30/34 dfth which I could use.

I've notice that the stud spacing doesn't fit the standard manifold.... what did you do to make it fit?

It was already fitted to the car, since sold to MAW on the forum - send him a message as he can send you a few pics

Guest robinj66

Hi all,

cheers

Jon

It will be easier to set up than the Dellorto's but will probably need re-jetting for your Pinto

Here's a schematic of the carb http://www.lcengineering.com/LCTechPages/pdf/38DGAS.pdf

and a quick set up guide http://www.redlineweber.com/html/Tech/38_dgas_tunning.htm

The DGAS is the best single carb you can fit, but only if its RR setup.

The 32/34 is a bit of a clunker.

If you want a "standard" carb stick out for a 32/36 DGV or DGAV (A = auto choke)

The manifold for the DGV & the DGAS are identical.....the smaller carbs have a smaller bolt spacing & have their own manifolds, which

wont fit the DGV/DGAS carbs.

If you sell the DGAS you should get £75 or so for it. A DGV should be half of that..

HTH Bob

Your original set up had some inherent faults

The FR33 cam needed more compression than standard and the 40's were to small

You were on a looser from the start

I have run an FR32 on bike carbs and it was good

For a standard head the FR30 and FR34 cams do a good job with more lift but standard duration.

32/36 DGV will handle 125 to 130bhp

38 DGAS good for 150bhp

Bet that 135 was all top end with no pull below 4000rpm

It's not all about peak bhp much more about torque curve

Jenvey and Omex £2500

Bike throttle bodies manifold and Megajolt management £1000

Both include rolling road

What head spec do you have?

The standard head is not good

Injection head is much better off the shelf

Large inlet valves and open the throat

3 angle seats

More compression, the Pinto likes more but should be matched to the cam

As I said the FR30 & 34 are a good high lift high torque cam that works with standard compression or upto 10 to 1

Edited by Snapperpaul

Guest mower man

Just my obs ,have run a 38 dgas for awhile and after a bit of a strugle got it set up on a 2.1 with a standard head and cam worked well reasonable mpg and performance I would guesstimate 115 to120 bhp over winter I had the head modified ,ported, chambers equalised ,3 angle seats with std valves reshaped ,bronze valve guides with a Newman fast road cam it has realy impressed me after an ignition prob [ thats another story],it pull s like a steam engine from low down and flies round to 7k mpg when driven with alittle respect circa 29/30 on mixed roads ,I'm hoping to get it r/r'd shortly and hopefully have 140/145 bhp . Webers need patience once jetted correctly are ok for me Ihave jet setting for a 2.1 get intouch and there yours mower man :clapping:

Snapperpaul - I've got a 205 block with the injection head fitted, standard cam and currently twin 40's. I'm only after reliability not masses of power really. If I want more power in the future I'd stick a different engine in. I've got a tight budget so the bike carb setup isnt going to happen.