Robin Hood Log Book Query

Guest Scotty

The VIN plate will be wherever the builder put it - there was no requirement for them to be stamped in the chassis in those days. So long as the log book says Robin Hood in some form or other then you should be OK as that's proof that DVLA (or DVLC as it would likely have been back then) were informed of the changes and acknowledged them.

Other than that do what you can to check that the car in front of you really does belong to the numbers on the registration document. Number one make sure that it really is a Robin Hood S7 and not a later variant or even a different kit car wearing an S7 identity to avoid having to go through an SVA or IVA test. If it's Cortina based then there is a good chance that it's right - given your location the registration number isn't WBW nnnX is it? I sold my Cortina based S7 to someone in that neck of the woods.

As for checking on the car itself - there were a couple of variants of S7. The monocoque can crack just forwards of the scuttle but apart from that they are fairly trouble free. From memory the rear axles are located with a sort of panhard rod that goes to a balljoint on the top of the diff and the modification to put them into the Robin Hood can make them tear the axle casing (others can maybe give more advise here as I never got that far into mine). If it's still got the Cortina front wishbones check the bushes - not a difficult job but one to talk the price down if they have play.

The mechanical components - as with any other older car check they are all working and listen/feel for knocks, clunks, whatever. Look for leaks.

The build quality - can vary hugely from something that just scrapes through an MOT every year to something that could have come out of the Rolls-Royce workshops, it's all down to the person that built it and any subsequent owners. No two of these cars are going to be the same even down to the position of the switches and instruments on the dashboard - make sure you try everything and that it works and that you are going to be happy using it (at least for a while) because it's no fun bringing a car hoe that you immediately pull apart to make alterations to. Part of the fun is being able to make it your own but you stand a far better chance if you can drive it for at least the rest of the summer and get to know it and if you then feel you need to make changes you have a plan of what you want to do to it come the autumn/winter.

Iain