Steering Lock

Guest shorty

Guest shorty

Hi The steering lock on 2B will not work with the changes in the MOT test will this be a failure.The donor car is a 1982 Sierra how will I find the parts for one of them?I will need to take it apart to find the problem but trying to get bits might be tricky.Hope someone can help. Artie

Guest MarkB

If you tell the tester the steering lock mechanism has never been fitted he can only advice, not fail. With a kit car he cannot clarify whether one was fitted as standard or not

Guest foxtrot

If you do want to get the steering lock working again you can remove the lock barrel I think by turning the keys to position two and pressing in the little metal retaining button on the side of the barrel under the cowl. Haynes manual would probably explain better.

For IVA you only need either a mechanical or electronic immobiliser in addition to the ignition switch

See section 13A Anti – Theft / Immobiliser

http://www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/repository/M1%20IVA%20Inspection%20Manual.pdf

"Where the vehicle has no mechanical anti - theft device fitted:

4. An electronic immobiliser must be fitted"

• 4 weeks later...

There is a toothed segment in the staering wheel hub that is locked by the standard lock.

The Mountney stearing wheel has various hubs and some had the toothed internal segment needed and some did not.

You might not have the correct hub.

You could fit the original sierra wheel for the mot.

Guest shorty

I have got my steering lock working the toothed segment was partially jammed freed it off and booked my MOT for this week.Thanks for all the advice. Artie