Hollowell 2013 Report

philshelton

What a great weekend, a touch warm but a fantastic show for those who came got to play with steam engines, sample the racks of real ale, have the p155 taken out of them by our resident comic (aka Shaft) or Nick the i will lug it round for you Tullett.

We also got to play in the main arena (Video to follow) awesome weekend and thank you to all that came and made it such a great time.

Roll on Hollowell 2014 :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :lazy: :lazy: :help: :) :) :D :D :D :yahoo: :lol: :friends: :drinks: :drinks: :drinks:

• Like 5

Guest MarkB

What a cracking 4 days, Thursday myself, Emma and the boys set off to Northamptonshire, 10 miles later the family tin top over heated, after a quick phone call to work one of my staff drops the truck off and disappears with our poorly car. Running 30 minutes later than expected we arrived at Hollowell, found our way to our pitch where we found Phil, Bob, Sylvia Rob, Nick and the rest of the S.yorks mob. With help from the others the Bruce camp was setup in no time. Just as we had boiled the first kettle of the day the shows organiser Alan asked for some help moving a few bits (the few was quite a bit), once this was done we returned to find the RHOCaR stand was up and ready to go, Once dinner was cooked and eaten we all chilled out over a few drinks and a lot of laughter.

Day 2 dawned, with the stand already setup it was going to be a boring day..... oh how wrong were we, the day consisted of crash courses in tractor driving, picking up numerous items, distributing bins, barrels, seating and anything else you could chuck on a trailer. Late afternoon comes round in a blink and more RHOCaR members appear, Andrea made a fantastic curry which was enjoyed by all, drinks were cracked open and another fantastic night is had by all.

Day 3 arrives, how pigging hot!! the gates are opened to the public, within no time the event is flooded with thousands of punters, the RHOCaR stand is buzzing with a constant flurry of inquisitive people. Bob and Simon couldn't wait to get down and dirty with the steam engines, spending most of the day cleaning and setting up "Kingfisher" and "Rebel", their reward came when they finally got to drive them in the main arena in front of hundreds of spectators. On the stand we had a fantastic day with endless amounts of people wanting information about the cars, it sempt like hundreds of people had their photos took in the cars, Garys SDR and Richards Exmo being centre stage, more members joined us during the day.... did I mention how pigging hot it was??, the beer tent became RHOCaRs second home, the lager was ice cold, there were dozens of different real ales (why do people drink alcohol without bubbles in I will never know). On this day the wife, Emma and also Dan celebrated their birthdays, we surprised Emma with a Helicopter flight, Dan accompanied.. "brilliant" is the censored version of their first words upon landing. Once dinner was sorted we all popped back up to the beer tent for a few more tipples and a bit of live music. Bob decided to "do a deal" with a fair stall holder and with this the RHOCaR Hollowell test your strength hammer competition began, Nick (shaft) and Chris (chrishood) were the only 2 that made the bell ring, some struggled to lift the hammer, others just did crap, the girls also took part and Sylvia put some of the guys to shame... Jim, Tazzzs Dad, put most of the blokes to shame and at 69 years old he really really showed a lot of us up. Back to camp to present Emma and Dan with a birthday cake, another cake was given to us by a member of the mini moke owners club, we invited them to ours for a few drinks, they couldn't make it so they dropped us a bottle of instant drunk fluid and a huge (extremely nice) cream cake, it was very well received.

Day 4 Hot ~Hot Hot again, the site was packed again, the stand was busy again, 10.15am came, time to take the cars into the main arena for all to see, once we had finished parading the cars they were put back on the stand, within minutes the stand was busy with eager picture takers. the rest of the day was soaked up showing people round the cars, entertaining the kids and enjoying all what the show had to offer. To put the cherry on top of the Hollowell weekend RHOCaR won the best car club stand for the second year running (the MG owners club is going to have to up their game if they want their award back). A final trip to the arena with all the club cars.. once they had done all the talky bits, all they other cars left the field, RHOCaR members were asked if they could help the show out by staying in the main arena and "entertaining" the crowds for 10 minutes whilst the steamers made their way down, ooohh yes not a problem was out answer, doughnuts, j-turns, drifting and handbrake turns by everybody including Richards wife!!!! (Richards blood pressure should have lowered by now).

I know I have missed lots of stuff, I will post some pictures once my internet decides to speed up.

Thanks to all that came to the show, everybody got involved, everybody helped to get things sorted. Thank you to the Hollowell team for allowing us to be there.

What can i say that mark hasn't already, this was THE best weekend ive spent with my rhocar freinds, the weather was amazing! what a contrast to last year when we were up to our ankles and axles in mud.

The cake and candles in the evening for emma and myself just topped off what was one of the best 21st birthdays ive ever had.

Holowell from the my helicopter ride

20130706_125213_zpsab533908.jpg

Simon in his element

20130706_100114_zps2bd9d8d7.jpg

Bob Now known as sooty

20130706_100425_zps8d045b0a.jpg

Not sure who is oldest sooty or the steam engine :air_kiss:

20130707_115018_zpsfd9eaa12.jpg

I can see the beer tent from here

20130706_100410_zps63eacbce.jpg

Rhocar from the air

c4ca1205-ae5c-4cc5-92f5-31dc8b14d15f_zps74ec43ac.jpg

• Like 3

Awesome weekend!!

I can, hand on heart, say this is the best weekend I've ever shared with RHOCaR in the 4 years I've been a part of the club.

The show itself is on a scale that a kit car show can only dream about, something different to see and do at every turn.

The ultimate experience is getting to actually work on the Steam Engines! All made possible by our very own Mr Marsh (Steamer) and his Dad, Dave and something the thousands of visitors and exibitors will never get to do. :)

Bob and Simon B worked like navvies on both show days and as previously mentioned earned them the great honour of driving the engines into and around the main display arena. Such enjoyment did they have we have since christened them Sooty and Sweep. ;)

My biggest grin came on the Friday when I got to drive the gigantic 4WD 4 wheel steer tractor around the site towing a 3000 litre water bowser so as to stock up all the stream engines with water! I still haven't stopped grinning and all that after spending the day with all the RHOCaR lads working using 2 smaller tractors and trailers. :)

The fact we won best car club for the 2nd year running is testament to our turnout in itself and hopefully we'll be able to double our turn out again for next year to keep the standards up for our club.

The interest and intrigue from the thousands of visitors was amazing and many a happy child was sat in one or more of the cars for a picture.

The camping and evenings where spectacular and after copious amounts of Andrea's Chicken curry the need to lay down with my jeans undone was a great one! ;)

Phil thinks we need a camp Medic for the stitching of people's sides after an evening with us lot. :)

Here's to next year, can't wait, so you now all have a years notice to attend an event you'll not want to end.

A massive "Thankyou" to all who attended.

(I can't pick out anyone for special thanks as it was one great big team effort.)

Will post pics later tonight.

Nick. :)

• Like 2

Guest Steamer swmbo

Good morning all

Back to reality this morning after what I can only say has been the best hollowell I have ever been to thanks to the rhocar club. I've been to a few hollowells in my time and this was brilliant, great atmosphere, great people and great food (thanks Andrea, what a curry)!

I want to say a big thank you to Mark B who introduced me to the joy of playing with Richards car, I had so much fun that my face hurt with all the smiling! I can nw definitely say I want one and I will be driving the hood a lot more in the future!

Roll on hollowell 2014!

I would like to say a big thank you to Nick who is now rhocar logistics. With out his offering to carry the big and bulky club items this week end could not have had all the facility on the stand that it had. This makes such a massive difference Thanx Nick :friends: :friends:

Can't really add much more to what has already been said.

Damn good weekend. Couldn't have asked for any better company, humour, beer, Sun and fun. What more do you need?

Makes a massive difference to go to a non car related show and have something there for everyone. Must have walked around the show a dozen times and saw something different each time. Still missed out loads though (maybe sitting have a few 7.5% ciders didn't help the cause....damn nice though! :crazy: )

Can't wait until next year.

Thanks again to the usual suspects for their hard work and efforts throughout the weekend...You know who you are 8), and to Andrea for that amazing Chicken curry.

Now need time to recover as my ribs will be aching for weeks (Thanks to Nick for his usual antics and to Milo for watering Dans leg)

Roll on Next year, and can't wait for Donnington

I'm home now and had a nice cool bath...what a relief!

There isn't a lot I can add to the great comments above. I'm really please and relieved that you all had a good weekend as I do worry because you've all travelled a fair few miles and given up your weekend to come and support the rally.

Reflecting on my hollowell weekend.....

Thursday;

Drove the kit car down in convoy with Dan, nick, simon and rob to the rally site without any problems or bits falling off!! This was the first proper drive out with the new engine and I was thrilled to bits with it!!

When we arrived on site, the rhocar stand was nearly all set up and looking great. I was dead chuffed when phil and rob suggested putting my exmo on the front of the stand! Who'd have thought an exmo would take center stage :)

Friday;

As the rhocar lads were running around helping the hollowell team set up the rally site, I was left free to steam kingfisher and drive it the 1hour jurney to the rally site. This is something I've never done before because normally I'm too busy doing what the rhocar lads were doing in my place! Thank you for all your help and giving me the opportunity to do something I've never done before in the 19 years I've been going to the rally!!!

Saturday and Sunday;

Thanks goes to sooty and sweep (bob and Simon) for your help steaming the engines! On a hot weekend like we had, that was a job I really didn't want to do on my own!!!

Claire loved driving the kit car and this was the best thing to come from the rally!! I've always wanted Claire to get into it, and with mark's help she absolutely loved it and was grinning ear to ear!!!!

I would like to say how proud I am to be a member of the rhocar club! Every time I heard the club mentioned by the hollowell team, it was either to say "what a good stand rhocarhave" or "those rhocar lads have worked bl00dy hard and been a great help"

Finally I've got my car home again without any problems! I'm now under instruction to buy new seats and seat runners so Claire can drive the car more often!!

Think speak for all that helped on the friday putting ash bins, rubbish bins, chairs and tables out we loved helping out. Note for next year when Alan asks for a couple of guys to empty the bins from the bonfire, we need at least 6 to lift them and its not a couple more like 20. Richard please pass our thanx on to Alan and the Hollowell team for making us so welcome and for such a great event.

hi all, would just like to add my bit, me and andrea got there late Thursday night, within minutes the rhocar boys helped get our tent up for us, while andrea started her red wine drinking session with the rhocar ladies in the events shelter, got up Friday morning to have a look at my kit due to more problems, most of the boys were already out working and playing on tractors, started to look at my car and as usual those club members who were around all chipped in without question to give a helping hand(thanks lads) while andrea started the chicken curry, evening came and the food drink and banter flowed, nice to chat and get to know more members of the club at the shows, we both had a great night, Saturday came and couldn't wait to go round the show, bl##dy fantastic, something there for everyone to enjoy, unfortunately we had to leave on Saturday night so missed sundays fun, got all packed up and off we went, ten minutes later car dies and we're stuck, a quick phone call :help: and the rhocar recovery boys were out in double quick time(big thanks to mark and nick) but no luck in getting us going so had to call out the AA, but that is another tale, all in all we both had a fantastic time and can't wait for next year , andrea would also like to thank you all for the gift :air_kiss: :air_kiss: got them home in one piece, just. ivan & andrea :) :)

• Like 1

This has been not just one of the best shows, but the BEST show by FAR.

I cannot remember when I have had so much fun getting all dirty to boot. :)

And when Alan press ganged me into steering Rebel from park up into the arena and back again, I felt really honoured to be "in the club" as it were. ( press ganged - Ha ! I loved every minute of it :) )

Everyone's comments above about the heat are right. So you can imagine what it's like with T-shirt, shorts AND a boiler suit on working around a nice HOT fire.

The beer tent (both of them) were fantastic after (and during - Shush) driving those engines.

I also found a Spanish Churros stall which amazed me - And they were tasty too.

Elderflour cider with churros followed by a half of Sui-cider went down very well.

Even with the extra days before the show we had, I didn't manage to see all of the show.

(To Dan) Did you get the car back home ok after overheating on the way back?

Note to everyone who didn't make it to the show, "You've missed a fantastic event, so make sure you enter BEFORE the deadline!"

Thanks go to Richard (for letting me help out with the engines Rebel and Kingfisher), Dan for the airbed (I'll now have to find something to blow it up with), Nick (for the pats on the back when I'd run out of air), Phil (for organising it) and everyone else for being at the show and helped make it what it was.

Thanks,

Simon.

• Like 1