Super Spec Rover T Series, Misfire.

Guest Peter Kelly

Guest stevenkirk

Welcome to the Superspec - a lot of unusual things you will find lurk under the bonnet - for instance -

according to the Rover Manual ( http://www.rover-club.net/graphics/manuals/10/Haynes825.pdf ) It has sequential injection Ie.firing order 1,3,4,2 but looking at mine it is set up for batch injection

ie. 1&3, 4&2 }( took me a while to figure it out). And I found the Knock sensor wasn't wired in either. And found that the ECU plug doesn't like being disconnected to many times. Thought mine was backfiring a little - found a problem with the exhaust manifold, it had a lip on it. Where it mated to the block it was supposed to flat, and was sitting proud allowing air in/out.

And yes, the plastic cover over the spark plugs has 4 screws to undo first to gain access.

Edited by steven

And yes, the plastic cover over the spark plugs has 4 screws to undo first to gain access.

Actually they are missing on mine, the cover is loose :-) Have to find some replacements. Assuming we are talking about the piece of plastic that has the various clips on it to hold the HT leads ?

Thanks for the picture, it explains my confusion. That plastic cover doesn't exist on my engine although I can see the 4 holes to mount it. I have attached a picture of mine, what I see is a piece of plastic the length of the engine with various clips on it to take the HT leads and then the 4 leads coming out with rubber 'boots' on each lead that 'appear' to be integral with the plastic. Tugging on the individual leads/boots has no apparent effect and as I said, I don't want to pull too hard in case I break something. And although the plastic piece is nominally loose (You can see the 2 bolts in the middle are missing)I cannot easily pull that up either.

Sorry to be a pain about this. I'm torn between the 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it' and wanting to check the colour of the plugs to see if it is running a bit rich (it only just passed the emission check at the MOT)

post-12714-0-82351300-1374655279_thumb.jpg

Guest stevenkirk

The spark plug leads are not integral with the plastic strip which only guides the lead/shroud - the plug leads will pull through the hole in the strip above each plug. There should be two hex bolts to secure the plastic guide to the head. Just pull the rubber boots straight up. The Champion part number for the plugs is -

4-cylinder normally aspirated engines . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Champion RC9YCC

4-cylinder turbocharged engines up to 1992 model year . . . . . . . . Champion RC7YCC

4-cylinder turbocharged engines 1992 model year onwards . . . . . Champion RC9YCC

V6 engines . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Champion RC9YCC4

Edited by steven

Guest Peter Kelly

ALL SORTED.

I took the car to an ex-Rover dealer to see if he could find out on Rover service equipment what was wrong.

After an hour I was told that the problem seemed to be in the Potentiometer attached to the Throttle body.

"Replace this and bring it back for further inspection," said the man.

Off I go to the local parts dealer.

"It will be here by mid-day tomorrow, £112 Non-returnable," says the dealer.

"Forget it," says I, I think I will try the breakers yard first.

Four hundred yards down the road I sheepishly ask If he has One of these?

Two minutes later he appears from his storeroom with a complete throttle body. :good:

It's been on the shelf for a while, give us a Tenner for the lot. :clapping:

Took it home, cleaned it up, fitted it, started up, Brmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. :yahoo:

Runs like a dream and no misfire. :crazy:

Peter