Super Spec. Total Clutch Failure.

Guest Peter Kelly

Guest Peter Kelly

A few weeks ago the clutch on my Super Spec disintegrated.

It had always been a noisy clutch and after repairing I believe I have found the cause of the noise and eventual failure.

The Spigot bearing in the flywheel was not a proper bearing but a bronze bush.

This was badly miss-shaped, causing the spigot shaft in the gearbox to vibrate and shake the clutch disc apart.

Bearing Man could not supply a bearing of the exact size required but could supply bearings with the same outside and inside diameters but of a smaller depth. So I fitted two and a spacer.

Result a silent clutch.

Peter.

Guest stevenkirk

When I suspected the clutch in mine was on its way out I removed the flywheel and changed the Rover clutch to a ford one re-drilling the flywheel as necessary and rebalancing. Toyed with he idea of fitting the MT75 spigot bearing in a sleeve but as it was 99% impossible to remove the bronze bush and it was a perfect fit anyway and wasn't damaged, left it in. Result silent and a lot lighter clutch - still heavy but I replaced the clutch cable and fitted return springs to the clutch arm as well.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest stevenkirk

For the MT75 spigot bearing 0 used this supplier - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FORD-SIERRA-COSWORTH-TVR-KITCAR-T5-MT75-GEARBOX-SPIGOT-FLYWHEEL-CRANK-BEARING-/310668673719?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item48554bc2b7 - as I didn't use the bearing I still have it in the garage somewhere.

One person to have a chat with is Quadradave on here - I got all the ford clutch part numbers off him.

There is something about the depth of the bearing that needs to be looked into - something about where the bearing sits in the crank recess.

Guest Peter Kelly

Peter

Do you have a part number or details on the bearing supplier, My clutch is on the way out and it's replacement is on my list of jobs for this winter.

I cannot find invoice for these parts but I got them from Bearing Man. A nationwide company.

Internal Diameter was 15mm to fit MT75 Gearbox.

Outside diameter was 28mm to fit Rover T series crankshaft.

Depth required is 20mm but these bearings are only 7mm thick.

So you will need two and a 6mm thick washer.

Three bearings, although only 1mm thicker than required depth could cause problems.

Hope this helps.

Should I find the Part numbers I will post them.

Peter.

Guest Peter Kelly

For the MT75 spigot bearing 0 used this supplier - http://www.ebay.co.u...=item48554bc2b7 - as I didn't use the bearing I still have it in the garage somewhere.

One person to have a chat with is Quadradave on here - I got all the ford clutch part numbers off him.

There is something about the depth of the bearing that needs to be looked into - something about where the bearing sits in the crank recess.

Steven,

This Ford Clutch Spigot bearing will not fit snugly into the Rover Crank. This is why it was not supplied with the original Kit.

Peter.

• 2 years later...

You will find all Superspecs have the rattle to some extent. Mine sounds like a bucket of bolts but has been the same for nearly 12,000 miles. It is almost certainly the bronze bush referred to earlier. It was machined by Richard Stewart and his tolerances were a bit iffy. I am going to wait till mine disintegrates as removing the engine and transmission is a major task.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest QuadraDave

Hi Pete what did you use to hold the bearings in the crank the crank inner I/D is 28-5 mm I bought the same bearings you have 2 years ago 28-15-7mm but they were not tight enough in the crankshaft so I had a phosphor bronze one made. I then modified the rover flywheel to take a ford pressure plate as it is deeper so the thrust bearing stays on the spigot shaft properly I also put a return spring on the clutch fork and it has no noise at all when running the reason I ask is I want to use the bearings in another T 16 engine project. also the brass bush that was in the crank shaft was only 13mm wide I put a 20mm wide one in and soon as I tightened gear box up it locked the engine so I think there may be some variation in the thickness of the engine/gearbox adaptor plate thanks Dave D

Edited by QuadraDave