How To Find An Owner Of A Vehicle

Guest mastarforth

Guest mastarforth

Hi all

I need a bit of advice

I have been approached about a car that I am interested in

The problem is, the car has been abandoned in a warehouse after a company went bust earlier this year. The owner of the warehouse contacted me

I am not sure if it is a business asset or belong to one of the directors of the company one of which is bankrupt and one now insolvent

My question is how do you go about tracing who it belongs too.

It looks like they volunteered to declare bankruptcy which may mean they did not appoint administrator. It appears one of the directors then tried to set up a Phoenix company that has since also failed

If it did not have something to do with the business and was a customers then surely after 6 months someone would have tried to get there car back

Any ideas?

what about dvla or I have heard about people finding who owns cars by saying that they hit their car and got a name and address that way but if it not been on road for a while not sure.

Guest peter2b2002

you use to be able to get onto the dvla road tax section put in the reg number and find the owner or if it's still on the road, did that with my old disco that I sold for scrap a few years ago only to find it was still taxed and on the road 2 years later

peter2b

As has been mentioned you can get the info from DVLA but you need to supply a good reason. Applying for a logbook would prompt the registered keeper that someone else wants it and if they don't respond to DVLA then you would get a new log book. If they do and want to take it away then you've lost it but...... If the warehouse owner has stuck a note on the screen saying that it's now clocking up a storage charge of x per day then they can (within reason so no £5000 per day charges). Once the outstanding bill is as much as they could get from selling the car they can do so legally - they just need to pass any extra money they get for it on to the original owner.

So if you are friendly with the warehouse owner get them to stick a note on it saying it's clocking up say £50 per day storage charge. Assuming that would now add up to it's market value (because it's been on there for months hasn't it, wink wink and bear in mind market value for a car being sold without a V5 is significantly less - even if it is legit) the owner can now sell the car to you for whatever they want to try and recover their money.

Iain