Help With Wndscreen

Guest Rallyreason

Guest Rallyreason

I purchased a windscreen kit from GBS end of last year. The kit comes with the required parts, but they need altering to fit.

The windscreen supports come completely flat and require bending to follow the contour of the scuttle.

Has anyone done this successfully themselves for the Zero?

Mechanical and electrical work is not an issue for me, but bodywork and bending metal is not my thing.

Any help is very much appreciated.

Guest busby

Hi Richards gbs zero blog is very helpfull on fitting the windscreen.i bent mine in a vice with wooden blocks to the correct shape

Hope this helps

Garry

As Garry say as a vice, couple of wooden blocks , a gentle push and patience and its pretty easy to get the curve for the scuttle.

You will also need a slight twist in the upright to make it sit flat to the windscreen frame.

Again easily done by holding the upright in the vice and twisting the triangular section - gently

Guest busby

Hi I used self tapper screws for the upright as supplied by gbs sorry I do not know the size,used m8 bolts to fit windscreen to scuttle, I also sprayed the uprights,hope this helps

Guest Ian & Carole

Thanks for the advice.

Did you paint or powder coat once all done? Did you use self tapers or bolts for mounting uprights to screen?

We drilled the screen frame and glued some dome headed bolts inside the frame and used some chrome dome nuts on the outside of the uprights to secure the screen frame to the uprights if that makes sense.

DSC01706.jpg

You can just see the 3 of them in this pic.

My frame and supports are powder coated.

I've tapped the screen frame with M5 for the uprights and M3 for the press studs to hold the hood on.

M5 * 8 fasten the uprights to the frame, I use M3 * 6 for the press studs.

I would also recommend you get some thinner rubber for the frame when fitting the glass the rubber supplied by GBS is too thick (or it was when I got mine).

Don't cut your rubber skirt (the bit that goes under the frame over the scuttle until after you mount the windscreen, pull it tight under the uprights and use the upright to clamp it in place, then trim it. If you don't you will end up with skirt lifting at the roundest part of the scuttle. I then used the black glue to fill the gap and give it a smooth line. Make sure you have the screen correctly positioned relative to the roll bar if you intend to fit a hood before you glue it.

Ian

My frame and supports are powder coated.

I've tapped the screen frame with M5 for the uprights and M3 for the press studs to hold the hood on.

M5 * 8 fasten the uprights to the frame, I use M3 * 6 for the press studs.

I would also recommend you get some thinner rubber for the frame when fitting the glass the rubber supplied by GBS is too thick (or it was when I got mine).

Don't cut your rubber skirt (the bit that goes under the frame over the scuttle until after you mount the windscreen, pull it tight under the uprights and use the upright to clamp it in place, then trim it. If you don't you will end up with skirt lifting at the roundest part of the scuttle. I then used the black glue to fill the gap and give it a smooth line. Make sure you have the screen correctly positioned relative to the roll bar if you intend to fit a hood before you glue it.

Ian

When glazing with ribbon rubber the rubber should be stretched thus making it thinner and the end fit tighter.