Help With Wndscreen

Guest Rallyreason

Guest Sharky

Bending was done around my thigh until I got the right shape for the frame. Minor bruising but controlled forming of bends!

Then started the complete buffoonery of fitting the rubber seals. Bottom T-Seal no problems but the top rubber wouldn't fit with the glass. So, I spoke with Simon at GBS and it appeared that I may have the wrong seal and there was a thinner one. Seal duly arrived in the post and it was marginally better. I then spent a day in the garage with warm water, washing up liquid and various clamps, belts and straps trying to achieve the impossible. Essentially, the whole sorry shambles involved a hell of a lot of swearing, significant sweating, almost getting it to work only to watch the other end ping out and so it went on!!

In the end I gave up and didn't use the windscreen rubber in the groove as it was proving impossible to do on my own, so I filled the frame groove with windscreen sealant and assembled the whole windscreen and frame in about an hour. The stuff I used was INNOTEC SAFE SEAL, easy to apply, sticks like the proverbial after a couple of hours but any excess that squeezes out, cleans off easy with INNOTEC's REPAPLAST cleaner.

I then polished the frame and it seems to have held its sheen over the past 18 months and is still ok. Remember, if you are spraying aluminium you need to do a couple of coats of etch primer otherwise it will peel off and look scruffy in a short period of time, so polishing is easier and doesn't look too bad.

Finally, I must point out that I have nothing to do with Innotec but I think their products are great - Google them. Their aluminium and satin black spray have been used a lot during my build and the REPAPLAST cleaner is as good a product as I have come across in high street engineering stuff as well. The Health Warning is that it is quite pricey, but you get what you pay for and it seems to last quite a while.

HTH?

Sharkey