Lambda Sensor

Disco

I have purchased the plug and lay engine wiring loom from GBSC which provides me with a 5 wire lead and socket to the lambda sensor.

Now my problem is what lambda sensor to fit to the exhaust system to connect to the wiring loom. I foolishly purchased a sensor with only 2 wires some time ago which obviously is wrong.

Hope you can help as I have made a bit of a mess of it!!!

Regards

Chris

Guest chrispine

Bosch wideband uses 5 wires, 12v supply, earth, signal and the other 2 are for a heater built into the sensor, presumably your sensor uses supply and signal only. Chris.

The plug and play loom I got only had 4 wires for the lambda. If you have five - is it wired up to go to the correct plug on the emerald ECU? I think it should be one of the smaller sockets on the other end away from the BIG plug.

You also have to tell the ECU it has a wide band lambda too. I will be looking into changing my narrow (4-wire) lambda at some point, but the wide band lmbdas are MUCH more expensive than the narrow ones...

Simon.

two wire type is a narrow band without heater.

It can be used if attached to the signal and signal ground wires on the loom plug. but I would check with GBS which ones those are.

Simon is right though there are only four wires on the plug, the other two are for the heater. A non heated type will just take a little longer to get to operating temp.

The five wire type that Chris mentioned can not be used directly with the ECU. a controler unit is required. As Simon says, that would be wired to Aux plug B which is on the end of the case next to the PC plug.

None of the GBS maps use lambda sensors as standard, but can easily be switched on. setting a narrow band up to be useful for IVA or MOT is another thing. Have a look at RichardL build blog.

Thanks for your help.i think I need to have another look at the plug and see if it really is a 5 wire supply. Then it seems with your advice I need to match it with the ecu requirements.

Chris

The Emerald ECU and GBS plug n play loom is already set up for the narrow band lambda with 4 wires so, no, not a problem.

If you want to go to wide band lambda, you need a separate controller and plug into the other side of the ECU. I will be looking into that later on as well myself.

Simon.

Have now looked at wiring loom and it is a 4 wire supply to the socket. I couldn't have been wearing my glasses when I looked previously. So when i purchase the emerald ecu what is the correct narrow band lambda to buy or is it any make ie Bosch?

Thanks for your guidance I am a bit green on these subjects.

the sensor you have will work, just use the signal and signal ground wires of the loom

however

As a 'performance' car fueling is set to provide performance which means that most of the time lambda is outside the range of a narrow band lambda sensor.

It can be used to control an emmisions and possibly an ecomomy map but it of no use with the power map.