Mazda Mx5 Gbs Zero Kit

Nike55

Hello all, I'm new on here.

I'm planning on building a Mazda based 'Zero' as Sierras are becoming rarer than hen's teeth. In that respect I successfully bid for and won a suitable donor on ebay.

Since that fateful moment (24 hours ago) I have been seeking to locate details of Mazda Zero builders and the many blogs which must have mushroomed since the Zero Mazda option kit became available from GBS... if anyone knows of any (other than Zach's blog - which is brilliant) please let me know.

Also if (when) the Mazda kit becomes more popular does anyone know if RHOCAR will split the forum between Sierra and Mazda donor based vehicles?

(Sorry if that discussion has already occurred but a search for MX5 related posts produced little)

Cheers.

Thanks 'DanE': Nice to feel welcome. Is there a thread detailing with the specific Mazda variations of the Zero Sierra build, which I may have missed - or is it all too early? Or perhaps I have joined the wrong site?

Thanks theduck: I have sent a message to Zach and await comments.

In the interim I am obviously in contact with Richard at GBS and will be discussing the build with him.

Hi Nigel,

I have replied to your PM, good luck getting through it lol.

I don't think there is a thread detailing this (I haven't written one and seem to be the leading non-factory Mazda build in terns of progress - don't ask about quality yet!) From what I have gathered and seen, the variations are literally the engine, gearbox, diff and hubs/brakes. Everything else can be classed as a "Zero standard".

You definitely haven't joined the wrong site, there are people always happy to throw their advice and ideas at you, the membership was the best £15 I've spent on my build! As Dan said, there isn't a split and there are kits from all sorts or eras and dark places, but everyone is welcome :)

Hi Nigel

As Zach and Rob has said, definately the best club out there for help and assistance.

If you need any help on the Mazda side I might be able to guide you as I have built a Roadrunner SR2 Based on the 1.8i MX5 (soon to have a blower fitted :diablo: ). IMHO one of the best 7 kits about. Look forward to seeing your build progress.... 8)

Many thanks to all for your kind advice.

With regards to the different versions, I was probably amiss as regarding this forum as purely a Ron Champion / Locost / Robin Hood inspired Sierra based site. It just seemed logical to have Sierra running gear based vehicles in one section and Mazda running gear based vehicles in another, but as has been pointed out there isn't any difference between the two chassis so all that is needed is a simple list of the parts (and suppliers) or drawings needed to convert the Mazda parts to fit a Sierra rolling chassis, (engine mounts etc).

I've only just been made aware of the Roadrunner SR2 and it looks rather nice, dedicated MX5 chassis too. Probably outside my budget though. Looks great Terry.

Hi Nike,

I can see why you'd think that as other forum's I've been on have different section for each type car.....and they don't half get mardy when you post in the wrong section!

Different car sections gives the feel of lots of small clubs whereas we're just one big club!!

The reason why this club has so many different types of kitcars is simply because it's the best club to be part of and the doors are open to anyone with or without a kitcar!!

Good luck with your build and I can promise you'll not regret your £15 membership (check out the members benifit section for starters......)

I've only just been made aware of the Roadrunner SR2 and it looks rather nice, dedicated MX5 chassis too. Probably outside my budget though. Looks great Terry.

Hi Nigel

Think you will find the Roadrunner is similar if not cheaper than the Zero to build. Got mine on the road for £8k total build cost. Would budget £10k. And from Zach's experience probably easier/ quicker to put together IMHO

Ok....been on here five minutes and seemed to have started a range war. Sorry about that. Horses for courses, One man's meat another man's poison, (& other clichés etc).

I'm going to see how cheaply an IVA quantifiable car can be built. Its not going to be as plush as some others, but I'm not building a pure track-day tea tray either,

Certainly a 'one donor' chassis is the key, where the majority of parts can be recycled, especially when the parts are coming off a car designed as a two seat sports car, rather than a family saloon.

This is going to be fun.

The Mazda zero is a dedicated Mazda chassis same as the sr2 is Mazda,

Both will be good cars at the end main difference is the sr2 is GRP the zero is aly\ stainless bodied, doubt you will get either on the rd for less than 8k a grand of which will be lost to iva/dvla.

This club is about all kit cars not just rh, all is welcome. There's is probably an answer for all questions somewhere within the club.

Good luck with whatever path you choice

Nowt wrong with a healthy debate..... :crazy:

Plenty of choices out there. End of the day it's your choice and what suits your budget. No 2 cars are the same as is the same of the owners... :db:

What ever you decide/ build, enjoy and welcome to the mad world of Rhocar.....the best choice you made so far.....welcome on board :clapping: :clapping:

Hi Nigel

Think you will find the Roadrunner is similar if not cheaper than the Zero to build. Got mine on the road for £8k total build cost. Would budget £10k. And from Zach's experience probably easier/ quicker to put together IMHO

Quicker?!? What are you on about Terry? I think a 6 month first build is pretty quick ;) haha. GBS just didn't want me finishing it before theirs ;)

I would echo the above. If building mx5 based then £8k will get a roadrunner or mnr on the road and IMO a better end car.

Let me finish mine before any judgements are made thank you! Might be sh*t hot.....depending on the builder...

Everyone has their own reasoning for taking a kit on. Personally, I have gone on getting one built and finished due to my circumstances with timings. I would probably look to do one again and focus a lot more on the appearance. End of the day I'm doing my first kit which is also to help set me on my way career-wise as well as have a fun car I've built myself, admittedly some attention to detail has been let slip but my sole aim is to get it roadworthy first. Can always sort things properly afterwards when time and money are a little less demanding :)

• Like 1

Welcome aboard Nigel, and as said before, you're definitely in the right place for building a Zero. :)

Feel free to have a look through my build pics for a guide to the various stages of my build.

There's over 700 to peruse but I was one of the earlier pioneers, so as such, most of the obstacles I'd faced have now been addressed by the factory.

Hope to see you at one of the shows mate.

:drinks: