Mazda Mx5 Gbs Zero Kit

Nike55

Speak to Mike at Roadrunner. He can supply a kit at many different levels. And will make any changes to suit the buyer.

The Sr2 is a high quality kit at budget costs (at the moment). I built mine and got it on the road for £8K, although would realistically budget 10.

No metal bashing or fabrication to worry about. Kit went together really well. Took 9 months to build although would have been 6 but for a slight elecy issue (my fault)

Good luck with the decision and build. Let us know what you end up with.

Guest tom-zero

Are you sure GBS wont allow you to buy the bits as and when you have the money ? because thats exactly what im doing and have been for a year and a half lol slowly geting there now tho.

Thanks taz. I'm keen to do a bit of metal bashing and apart from the chassis and associated suspension items (to help get to a rolling chassis stage reasonably quickly) I'm quite happy sourcing/building everything as I go.

torn-zero. Thanks for your comment. GBS are moving toward a more professional approach and the impression I had was that I could make stage payments on the chassis kit and the body kit etc but they did not suggest buying single parts as it were, I understand the concept and their reasoning. For a hassle free (?) build it would make sense to buy a GBS kit esp as they can help through the IVA stage, which sounds like a 'no brainer' but I I'd like to do a bit more myself.

I'm sure that GBS will eventually produce a worthy MX5 kit (together with a detailed instruction manual) to rival the best in the market, and as more kits are sold I imagine they will start an exchange driveshaft / propshaft conversion which will bring these costs down, although I'd expect the kit price overall to increase..

Well I had a test drive of their MX5 demonstrator last saturday, and I was impressed, drove very nice. Nicely sprung, grippy, and very good on the brakes. They still had to sort the geometry out but in fairness to them, Keith was quite open about that. Not particularly quick on a standard 1600 lump but I'm sure more will come with time. Certainly got my thumbs up.

Hi brumster, The handling of the Zero should be pretty good. Would be difficult to see how they could get it to handle badly unless a there was a bad error in the chassis build.

The guys who set-up their cars should be very good by now at fine tuning the suspension and steering....

• 7 months later...
Guest G Force

Hello,

I am just about to order my Zero Mazda starter kit.

I have sourced an MX5 1.6 donor.

I am going for the lowered floor.

Is the width differerence of of the GT chassis discernible, does anyone know?

Thanks,

Graham

Guest ali2992

It is pretty discernible, I can't remember the exact difference (the spec is on the gbs website) but after sitting in both a standard and GT chassis the standard feels incredibly narrow after. I personally opted for the GT version for the added space

Hello,

I am just about to order my Zero Mazda starter kit.

I have sourced an MX5 1.6 donor.

I am going for the lowered floor.

Is the width differerence of of the GT chassis discernible, does anyone know?

Thanks,

Graham

passenger and driver seat area are each 40mm wider than standard, plus narrowed tunnel makes the cabin feel much roomier

Guest G Force

Welcome Graham, was it you that myself and Zach were speaking to about his Zeros build at the end if the show today?

Hello, no, unfortunately I was not there, but have emailed Zach a couple of times. Thanks for asking.

Guest G Force

passenger and driver seat area are each 40mm wider than standard, plus narrowed tunnel makes the cabin feel much roomier

Many thanks, I think I will go for the wider version.

Guest G Force

It is pretty discernible, I can't remember the exact difference (the spec is on the gbs website) but after sitting in both a standard and GT chassis the standard feels incredibly narrow after. I personally opted for the GT version for the added space

Thanks. Think I will also choose the GT version.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest G Force

Hi, got most of the donor parts from my MX5 in the garage now, ready for cleaning etc. Is the cooling fan from an Mx5 used in a Zero, can anyone tell me please? Thanks.

Guest ali2992

Err - really depends on the fan that your mx5 uses, mine was about an 11" if I remember correctly, I've still got it but looking at my mounting holes I'm rather sure it won't fit. Of course everything can always be made to fit, I wouldn't throw it out or anything until you know you won't be wanting it