Pinto 1.6 Water Pump Fan Removal

Guest Scotty

Guest Scotty

I'm trying to fit a new water pump to my s6.it has a cortina 1.6L cortina pinto engine which I'm struggling to separate the fan from the pump I've removed the 4 bolts from the pulley but can't separate it for some reason any advise pls thanks Scott

post-12700-0-71039200-1375960326_thumb.jpg

I think youll find that the viscous fan is screwed onto the nose of the water pump with a left hand thread. Grip the pump impeller in a vice and tap the fan hub around clockwise to loosen it - the fan pulley should then just pull off the pump.

the hub of the fan screws onto the shaft of the water pump. You'll see a big hexagon for a thin spanner to locate onto.

This thread is a left hand thread so it turns the opposite way to normal threads to undo it.

Hold the water pump impellor in the vise (so the shaft cant spin) and get a thin spanner onto the fan nut.

PS....I never owned a thin enough spanner so I always ended up just using a flat blade screw driver and hammer to hit the nut loose.

i've heard you'll gain up to ~5bhp not having the fan on there (and going electric which only turns on when needed) as its another thing the engine isn't turning around. could be rubbish but i would think it must make some difference not being there.

Guest snowy2

A fixed fan you won't be far off the mark but with a viscous fan there is not a lot to be gained as they also only come on when required. they just freewheel when engine cold.