Brake Lights

Guest michael.lynockm

Guest michael.lynockm

Hi Guys,

After cleaning my Zero this morning and putting it away in the garage I was informed that my nearside brake light (only) was permanently on! And the brake lights (both) were not working when I applied the brakes! Tail lights were ok.

I have all GBS Plug and Go looms.

The bulbs were ok, and so were the fuses. All connectors appear to be secure.

Any suggestions as to where I should start looking, would be very helpful.

Thanks

Mike

Amington,Tamworth

Guest michael.lynockm

Did think of that one, however, Just had a check and even with the brake pressure switch disconnected the nearside brake light is still on...

To make a circuit you need a positive supply and an earth. I don't know your loom so don't know if all the supplies are switched constant live or switched ignition-on live. Brake lights may be wired in parallel or separately but unless the bulb in the right is blown they both should come on if there is a fault. So go round the car yourself and with ignition off first check all the lights (front and back including indicators) for operation. Then repeat with the ignition on. Then dismantle each light as needed and check all the bulbs. While you are checking bulbs clean the contacts. Then recheck operation. Then report back please.

Nigel

• Like 1

Guest snowy2

sounds like a short to the earth on one bulb it is lighting the brake light via the normally live cct when you apply the brakes it gets a 12v supply the other way and balances the voltages and hence the bulbs do not work.

Guest michael.lynockm

Hi Guys, many thanks for your help and advice in curing my brake light problem.

After many hours of circuit testing the fault appeared to be with the 'loom plug' to the near side rear light cluster. I really don't know why

as everything is new. However, I've now sorted the problem and I'm legal again. Many thanks.

Regards

Mike