Surrey Top

tractor

bending awning rail wot a pain ended up with glazing packers and a patio chair .used the corner of chair as a former to bend it round and glazing packers jammed in to stop it collapsing had to grind screws down to fit got it done looks ok I think diy engineering at its beast

• Like 1

Guest peter2b2002

when i did mine , i used the dog guard from my range rover as a former, the bends at the top were just right to form the bends on thr rail just clamped the rail to the top of the dog guard leaving 12" over the end then slowly bent the rail over , then cut to size

peter2b

I made a corner template of the window frame out of 10mm ply but on the side that was to go down the side of frame I put a slight curve in it so that the bend would have more tension on it, I then held the rail in vice jammed between rubber blocks,got the wife to hold ply level with vice,using a bit of hollow tube as handle sipped over rail and bent to suit,just keep tube well back from corner so that you do not mark rail,it worked well,once you have your first bend in and it is tight up to side lay rail on top and mark off start of other bend,it worked quite well.make sure you buy a good length of rail to enable you to bend it.

Colin

Guest peter2b2002

on my 1st attempt i use a drill in the channel to stop it collapsing did the 1st bend turned the rail over , did the other bend ,. guess whot

coundn't get the drill bit out :sorry: , ok 2nd attempt didn't need the brill bit, used cable as above

peter2b