Accelerator Pedal Travel

WallerZ

One of my latest things to get on the car was the noise pedal. It's on and working but the travel feels to be far to much. It's liveable but I'd rather sort this now than post IVA. Does anybody know of a way to easily reduce this?

GBS are looking at a pulley system, but as usual, this isn't finished and/or is majorly overpriced.

Cheers,

Zach

The accelerator pedal is just a lever. The longer you make the top bit the more cable it will pull but it will require a little more force to pull it. If you are fiddling with the pedal you can fit a nice quadrant to the top so the cable is not bent at its nipple. (As the carb/TB end is also a lever making this shorter has the same effect. Again a nice quadrant is good.)

Nigel

post-21-0-72070900-1376308792_thumb.jpg

I don't know for definate that it will fit and it would require some modifications to fit onto your pedal but how about a classic mini hand brake quadrant?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CLASSIC-AUSTIN-ROVER-MINI-HANDBRAKE-QUADRANT-21A2454-SUIT-ALL-MINIS-COOPER-CIT-/261262739963?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3cd47909fb

Cut three quadrant shapes out of some 2mm ally sheet. One piece will have the curved bit 5mm further inboard than on the other two pieces. Sandwich this piece between the other 2 and you'll have a groove that the inner cable can run through.

Rivet the 3 bits together and attach to the end of the pedal.

Plenty of scrap ally in my garage - just pop round.

something to consider... I might be talking rubbish but i am sure i read that BMW have long accelerator and brake travel for a reason. That reason being that rear wheel drive cars are a little more tricky than front wheel drive cars. If you have short travel you have more response for less input which you might not want when in a corner as a slight tap on the throttle will get you in trouble. Even worse when your only traction control is your foot.

I find on my 2b that sometimes over bumps my foot bounces on the pedal, which would cause more of a prob if it has more effect.

Its entirely your choice though and as above its just levers :)

• Like 1

If you are making up a quadrant, make it cam (or snail) shaped, so the lower half of the movement pulls less cable that the final part.

Sorry I dont have Nigels artistic skills....

May be worth looking at modding the connector at the carb end too

I'm going to leave it for now, got the pedal set a bit closer to the same as the other two so will see how I get on. As pointed out, if I hit a bump in the corner, the last thing I want is to accidentally pump the pedal and spin. May end up looking at this again in the future :)

Cheers all :)

• 2 months later...

There hasn't been any change or update to this topic for a while and I wondered how people had got on? Has anyone actually fitted a GBS pulley system? In fact, does it actually exist as there's nowt on kit spares? If anyone has any piccies of how they have achieved less accelerator travel, then I for one would be grateful for the insight as I can feel a winter mod coming on and would appreciate some more ideas.

Cheers

Sharky