Tachometer

Guest stevey

Guest stevey

can anyone help,I have used the Vicki Green loom on my 2B absolutely no problem. However I have made it more difficult by deviating from the norm. I have fitted a mk5 Cortina distributor and a DGAS Weber for simplicity however while all worked well with electrics I have no tacho(revcounter) usually these sense on the ignition circuit but I would guess that originally this would hve been obtained via the ecu. The Vicki Green loom is geared to ecu's and as such I am at a loss where to obtain a feed for the tacho. Any bright sparks ;-) help me out please :(

Tachos usualy have three wires. Pos 12v supply, earth and sensing feed from the negative side of the coil. This should work even without an ECU. I use a crapi distributor albeit now with a magnetronic sensor inside to replace the points and no ECU and mine works fine. Worked fine with just points also. There was an answer on the loom site that there is a white/black wire labelled not used in the VG loom which you connect with. Don't know if that is correct.

Nigel

I do not know about the Vicki Loom, but the original tacho feed wire is a pale green colour. It is the only wire that is that colour. I know because I did the same mod to my car (dizzy and DGAS).

Daz

Guest Taffy Rob

Hi, on the vicki green loom, there is a white and black wire by the instruments that is 'unused', assuming you have wired a black white into the ignition circuit (im not overly familiar with the different types, as I fitted the basic amplifier, sorry), if you connect this into the plug (i forget which pin, but it is the wire that is marked 'tacho' in the haynes manual, this will work. As the boys have said, you could also run a wire from the negative side of the coil, the rest of the instrument (you are using the sierra instruments), should already be powered up.

Hope this helps

Rob

Guest stevey

thanks to all for advise and yes the white with black tracer was located and hooked up to negative side and hey presto when hooked to green last wiring glich sorted :D and not only does it sound fabulous (how the hell is it going to pass the sva!!!)but I now can check rpm, give me oily bits anytime