2.0 Pinto Engine Info

Guest Scotty

Guest Scotty

I'm looking to change my 1.6 pinto to a 2.0 pinto over the winter months and add a 5 speed box.I've been told there are different types of this engine, a friend told me to get a 205 what ever that means ????. Someone else told me the 2 litre injection engine was the one to go for.is there any difference or are they all the same???? thanks Scott :-)

205 refers to the cylinder block. This is desirable as it's what the cosworth used (a stronger block). To be honest though, it doesn't make that much difference so don't get hung up about it.

The injection engine (converted to carb or left as injection) has the advantage of egg shaped inlet ports. These are worth a good few horse power over the standard carb heads.

Avoid engines out of transits as they have low compression rations.

There are two kinds of type 9 gearbox to what out for. Standard which will be the one you're after but there is also the v6-type 9 which has a longer input shaft.

The V6 boxes are stronger but require a spacer plate behind the gearbox to make up the distance of the longer input shaft...

205 block is use on injection Pinto as well as the Cosworth (which also used the 200 block). Injection engine will also run unleaded as standard and has stronger rods than earlier engines. The stronger road are helpful if youre planning on more tuming but not essential - there's plenty of decent, tuned Pintos around based on the older Cortina 2.0 blocks.

Yes, left hand side of the block looking from the front. Big cast numbers about 40mm high - 200, 205, 2.0 etc.

The engine number is on the same side stamped on a raised pad - this will help date the engine but not tell you 100% what is originally came out of.

First 2 letters are the relevant bit:

http://www.burtonpower.com/tuning-guides/tuning-guide-pages/ford-manufacture-dates.html

Guest snowy2

Whatever pinto you have there not great engines they weigh a ton and are mega expensive to tune. they also use lots of fuel (i got three of them ) i am replacing them with zetecs. lighter, more power, almost double fuel ecconmy and way way cheaper to tune beyond a pinto‘s wildest dreams.

Guest mower man

205 refers to the cylinder block. This is desirable as it's what the cosworth used (a stronger block). To be honest though, it doesn't make that much difference so don't get hung up about it.

The injection engine (converted to carb or left as injection) has the advantage of egg shaped inlet ports. These are worth a good few horse power over the standard carb heads.

Avoid engines out of transits as they have low compression rations.

There are two kinds of type 9 gearbox to what out for. Standard which will be the one you're after but there is also the v6-type 9 which has a longer input shaft.

The V6 boxes are stronger but require a spacer plate behind the gearbox to make up the distance of the longer input shaft...

The transit blocks are no differentso if you are rebuilding you would be fitting new pistons any way---- mick

My pinto was non 205block with inj head fr32 cam and bike carbs it put out plenty of power @ 155bhp it was thrashed to hell and kept going fine, for there time they were / are a great engine. Don't worry to much about 205 blocks. Zetecs are better as they are more modern but will cost a few quid to convert to and once tuned are no better on fuel...

Pinto always makes for a fast sounding car. Plenty of noise, fury and vibration. Feels like a sports car of old.

Changing to zetec, then ST170, then tuning it has made for a fast smooth engine, the corners come up too quickly and you seldom come across anything you can't blast past but it's so dull unless the car is over the ton and then it's just dangerous. There's a lot to be said for a nice pinto.

Nigel

• Like 1

Guest mower man

AS longboarder says agood pinto is as good as a std zetec and I think easier and cheapertoo aproper z thing converston can/will run into lots of £s a 150 bhp pinto is enough for most and affordable my ops only mowerman :clapping: :crazy: