Superspec Clutch Cable

alanrichey

Could anyone tell me what clutch cable to ask for as a replacement for the one on my SuperSpec (Rover 'T' Series engine with Ford M75 Gearbox, no idea which clutch, Rover or Ford ?). The previous owner used a handbrake cable as an emergency replacement when the clutch cable broke and I would like to fit the proper item.

Guest Peter Kelly

Hi

The replacement clutch cable you need is a Volvo part.

Quinton Hazel part No. QCC 1240.

I also increased the length of the release arm by 1inch to mate with the hole that the cable comes through.

Peter

Guest Peter Kelly

As I said QCC1240.

Perfect length.

Been there, done that, got the Tshirt.

Still in one piece after 4yrs.

Tie it back clear of exhaust with a metal clip.

Peter

Edited by Pete the Dog

Guest stevenkirk

The original cable supplied by RH was QH part no QCC 1303 - from a Fiat Ducato if memory serves. Goes from the pedal , around the front of the engine and under the exhaust manifold to the gearbox. I replaced mine last year. They do have a tendency to fray as the pedal is heavy - but good squirt of PTFE spray up the outer sheath helped greatly. The clutch originally fitted to them was a Rover pressure plate and Ford friction plate - ( wasn't terribly impressed with the washers for spacers between the flywheel and pressure plate) I, ( and a few others on here ) have changed to an all Ford clutch - release bearing was out of a Sierra Sapphire ( had metal clips to secure it, not the plastic ones which snap off too easily.

OK, got a QCC 1240 clutch cable off EBay but unfortunately it isn't going to be the quick fix I hoped. The length is fine, but the bush at the clutch end is larger than the hole in the bell housing so it is not going to be a nice fit. I might be able to live with that but the other problem is that the pedal end has a nipple (as does the QCC 1303 from what I can see) whereas the exisiting cable has an eye at the end so it is simply attached to the clutch pedal with a bolt. I assume there should have been some sort of connector that takes the cable/nipple and can be bolted onto the clutch pedal and the previous owner removed it when he replaced the cable with his 'bodged' version.

Can't see anything on E-Bay, but I guess it must be a pretty standard piece of kit ? Anyone any ideas ?

And I can see what Peter means about the mislignment between the release arm and the hole in the bell housing, but I think extending the release arm is well beyond my ability :wacko: Have to live with it and just keep checking it.

Yes the pedal end looks fine, but it is at least 700mm too short and I can't see enough of the engine end to see if it will fit.

The QCC 1303 (EBay Item 321169257790) looks as though it has a smaller bush at the engine end, but still come with a nipple. I don't really want to keep buying clutch cables on the chance they might fit :-) I guess need to get off my backside and go to a proper parts distributor :-)