2B Windscreen

nigelt

Hi All,

Took my 2b for its IVA a couple of weeks ago and one of the things it failed on was the windscreen not having the \ symbol, which indicates that its toughend glass. I spoke to kit spares and they say that none of their windscreens are likely to have this marking so will not be IVA approved. Does anyone know where I can get a screen made that will be up to date and have the right markings?

Or will I be able to re-present the car with out a windscreen.

Thanks

Nige

If you're set on getting a pass with the screen fitted, you've got 3 options:

Find a laminated 2B screen - I believe that there some of these around and they have the corret markings

Get another screen cut using a Fiat Uno or Landrover Defender laninated screen as a blank and you'r 2B screen as a template and retaining the laminated screen markings in the corner. This is a widely used route to get a flat screen that has the correct makings. I believe that some braches of Autoglass can supply the glass and do the cutting. Alternatively, get the screen from Autoglass and get a glazing company to cut it an polish the edges. (The edge polishing will lessen the chance of the glass cracking in service).

Expect to pay approx £50 for the screen and maybe £20 for the cutting.

Yes, although obviously you need to ensure that it's big enough to get a 2B screen out of it. As a 2B screen is quite small it shouldn't be in issue but worth checking beforehand.

If Autoglass cut it, they probably won't have the kit to polish the edges so it's probably best to get a glazing company to do the cutting and they should be able to polish the edges.

Best bet intially would be to take your existing screen to Autoglass as a template and explain what you need.

I'm sure for extra money they could put the correct markings on.

HTH

Nick

Not to satisfy IVA they can't. They'll use sandblasting or chemical etching and just put a BS number in it. Proper automotive glass has an E marking that's a ceramic mark fused to the glass surface.