Broken Cam Belt =Broken Head

Guest weanspapa

Guest weanspapa

Recently out for a run (hottest day of the year) when my cam timing belt went,fortunately only doing about 25mph. When I finally got the car back to the Island contacted Steve Curson at Vulcan Engines who patiently (very patiently)talked me through what to do, his philosophy is that its better to phone him 10 times and get it right than #### it up Finally put new cam belt and tensioner on and timed engine using DTI gauge, have now found after doing compression test that no. 4 cylinder has only 80psi instead of 185psi, this will be because one of the valves and valve guide will be distorted(?) I am now sending head down to Vulcan Engines at Brands Hatch to have fixed. Vulcan (who have been absolutely brilliant help) even offered to arrange to have head collected for really low fee. Will let you know how I get on

kind regards Robert Jones

ps engine is Pinto 2.1 ltr. 160bhp Vulcan engine

Guest mower man

Were there any signs of piston /valve collision ? not being pedantic but close inspection of piston crown is must esp if valves are o/size please dont take this as a knock mower man

Guest weanspapa

hello Mower Man, yes there are marks on all piston crowns but ran through compression test as per instructions of Vulcan Engines (engine at working temp, remove plugs, do compression test with throttle wide open) no. 1 178psi no. 2 185psi no.3 185 psi no 4 80psi. Now in hands of Steve at Vulcan. Mower Man I used to own a pub in old part of Glasgow, trust me, there ain't anything you can say that will bother me

kind regards Robert

Guest david_l_perry

I thought Pintos where meant to be safe as far as cam belt failure / valve damage was concerned ? I was told this by a couple of people in the past (RAC chap and a ford mechanic) What causes this to change ? Is it the mods to the cylinder head being skimmed, larger valves etc....

Robert, love the fact that you are now immune to all abuse following the Glasgow pub trade... :-)

Guest mower man

If the head has been skimmed and or o/size valves are fitted conntact is possible some times plugs need to be indexed to avoid piston contact too ,I fitted some 3 earth electrode plugs to my 2.1 and 2 had the gaps closed up by piston contact [ the head has been modded abit ! it also has flat top pistons] but normal plugs are ok just need to watch these things mower man :acute: :crazy:

Guest weanspapa

hello all, the answer to Davids question is that because of mods ( large valves + skimmed head etc.) when timing belt goes you will have contact. Normal Pinto engine will not have this problem. One way to stop this would be to fit a kevlar belt about £150, cheap when you consider the damage that can be done. Steve Curson at Vulcan engines suggested that the belt broke because of slackness, I had checked just about everything else, something else to pay attention to. I have fitted a Cross timing belt and tensioner at cost of £50. My engine has only done 5,000 miles so worth checking on regular basis

kind regards to all Robert

Guest weanspapa

The feel is already autumnal. As long as I can get a few runs out I'll be one happy old man.Was quite chuffed when I timed the engine using a DTI gauge, this got it spot on ( courtesy of Vulcan Engines down at Brands Hatch)

kind regards Robert