Certificate For Seats

Guest SomeInfo

Guest SomeInfo

Took my car along to get it IVA'd and it failed on a number of things - most of which were my own silly fault I can fix quite easily !

The thing I am struggling with is the examiner's request for a certificate of conformance on the seats. I have a set of Kit Car Spares seats :-

http://www.kitspares.co.uk/shop/item.php?cat=12&product=4890&catsub=8.

The issue is where the seatbelts come through the holes in the headrest this is now deemed a part of the structure and has to be deemed strong enough to support the seatbelts in the event of an accident. The examiner (who was very helpful) said this was a common thing to ask and would not be a problem but it does not seem that easy.

Has anyone come across this before and how do you get the certificate ?

Thanks for any help anyone can give.

Cheers

Duncan

Guest Chris Russ

Agree with the above comment from Steve, - the advice I picked up on the forum was to run the seat belts OVER the roll-bar - not through the holes in the seats, this makes the roll-bar the stress point, so provided your roll-bar is mounted solidly ( I had to re-inforce the rear mountings on my Exmo ) you can point out that the load in an accident is shared, so no problem ........mine passed earlier this year using this theory! -- the examiner is concerned that because your seat belts are touching the seat, your seat needs to be certified that it will not collapse in an impact, ...a difficult thing to convince & certify!!!

Good-Luck,

Chris

with respect to the above posts.

look at the occupents position with reference to the seat belt mounts.

the seat is designed to fit the belts accross each sholder, if the mounts do not allow a straight pull, you will have to provide evidance of the strenght of the seat to be able to take the forces.

so is it the seat, or the position of the seat belt mounts?

you will probably find that the mounts were never designed for the narrower 7esk seats, more likely they apply to the use of the donor seats, which, due to the change in requirements will not comply to the legislation for other reasons.

you will have to modify, change or adapt the 2B to the IVA as required.