Boiler Scam?

Guest chrispine

Guest chrispine

Just had a 'phone call and a very persuasive salesman telling me I can have free gas central heating all installed and supplied free, the same deal for double glazing, external wall insulation, (I don't have cavity walls), and lots more energy saving devices all free, all I have to do is pay £399 for a surveyor to come to the property, anyone else had this? Is it a con? All the ads for free boilers etc state you have to be on benefits which I'm not, been on the internet and all I qualify for is free external wall insulation and the survey is free. Chris.

Guest chrispine

Part of the spiel was that the government is forcing my energy supplier to pay for the work, my gas supplier is British Gas, which Maggie privatised so is owned by the shareholders, it's run by Centrica whose parent company is the Russian oil and gas giant Gazprom, so the government are going to force the Russians to make my house more energy efficient, hmmm, definite conjob. Chris

Guest chris brown

I would pass on this one no way should you have to pay for the survey. I did have my loft insulated for free (British Gas) but the survey was free also.

Guest Alan_builder

Remember if it sounds too good to be true it's a scam.

I have not had this one sent from Hampshire trading standards, Safer Hart nor the Hampshire NHW Police Officer, do check with yours and don't respond on your own, get the fuzz round then invite them.

Alan

Guest Alan_builder

Hi All,

Both Hampshire County Council and Hampshire SNT (Police) agree, it's a scam.

I sent a copy of the post to both.

Hi Alan

I have heard of something similar before. I think it is the classic case of the unscrupulous taking advantage of a genuine scheme. Some people will be entitled to free systems, but the qualifying criteria are pretty restrictive, so the majority of people will not qualify as you have rightly identified. Of course, these business take advantage of this to get people in and then try and sell to them.

Do you happen to have any details for the business concerned? I imagine Trading Standards may already be aware, but all intelligence is useful.

Regards

Helen

Sent: 30 August 2013 14:06

To: Woods, Helen (PBRS)

Subject: New Scam?

Hi Helen,

I copied this from a social web site: the poster being

Just had a 'phone call and a very persuasive salesman telling me I can have free gas central heating all installed and supplied free, the same deal for double glazing, external wall insulation, (I don't have cavity walls), and lots more energy saving devices all free, all I have to do is pay £399 for a surveyor to come to the property, anyone else had this? Is it a con? All the ads for free boilers etc state you have to be on benefits which I'm not, been on the internet and all I qualify for is free external wall insulation and the survey is free. Chris.

This looks like a £400 scam to me. Pay up front and easy to say your property is not suitable, thank you very much, and then it's a legal rip off?

--

Regards

Guest chrispine

Hi, thanks Alan, was more than anything trying to warn others, if I'd paid the £400 and had the survey I would be entitled to the wall insulation, which as far as I can tell anyone with solid walls is, and the survey is free, so what they seem to be doing is charging £400 to pass your details on to a legit scheme. I have the details of the company at home including a Swansea 'phone number. Chris. Edit, the first person I spoke to was called Phil, he told me I prequalify for a £3000 boiler, 8 radiators and all pipework all supplied and fitted, he then passed me over to Steve Jones who kept asking for card details, the address he gave me is Princess House, Princess way, Swansea SA13LW, 0845 5610011, ref 07901911, he 'phoned me back from 01792 633171, website he gave me is doiqualifyforgreendeal.co.uk interesting as on that site again all I would get is external wall insulation, no mention of central heating. Chris.