What Oil For 2.0 Pinto

Guest aidankinnell

Guest aidankinnell

Hi, just looking for opinions on what oil is best for. 2l pinto, 205 block running 32/36 dgv carb?

Research tells me 10w40 or 20w50 (possibly Halfords 'Classic'). So, thoughts please?

Aidan

Guest chris brown

20/50 was the modern oil of the day when the Pinto was developed so it was designed to use it. But a good Pinto will be happy on 10/40. The same thing goes for the type 9 box a good one will be happy running on 10/40 or even ATF. In both cases you do get less drag through the system.

Guest mower man

15/40 semi synth ,20/50 , halfords classic , Millers 20/60 ,Valvoline 20 /60 all are v good ,a lot depends on the depth of your pocket any thing lighter than the 15/40 pinto's will use and leak like a seive ,thinking of going up to millers or valvoline myself but have used 15/40 for a long time,as said personal brand likes /dislikes and cost probably are deciding factors , my ops only mowerman :crazy:

Guest chris brown

Good move if you are not sure of history. I ran mine on 10/40 but it had a full rebuild with high pressure oil pump and yes it did have a few leaks after 50k miles but as long as the pressure was good I didn't worry. It even with a few drips it never needed topping up between changes (3 to 4k)

• 2 weeks later...