Gbs Zero

Guest gdc

You have to read all the notes Bob, basically it says that the rear fogs may operate while the lights specified in RS4 are on but must turn off when you turn the specified lights off and must remain turned off until you deliberately turn the fog lights on again, ie not come back on when you turn the specified lights back on. It's the auto turning off and staying off that is the issue.

It happens like this in all new cars, you turn your lights off and it cancels the fog lights and they do not come back on until you deliberately turn them on again.

The problem for kit builders is that no one is using the modern type switch gear that allows for this to happen so you need to add the audible device as per part 2

Or you could just use something like a vw light switch which does it all.

That's assuming this is the iva issue KT is refering too? Why the reluctance to let us know? Is the issue just Zero related or does it affect all cars presented for iva?

It will affect all cars presented for IVA.

I might have my open and closed relays mixed up here.

Anyway, to comply with the required standard if you don't have the modern switching facility you need to have an audible warning, additional to the tell tale, that activates when you remove the ignition key if the fog light is left switched on, regardless of whether the other lights are on or off. This is to alert you to switch the fogs off so that they don't come on next time you start the car, or so they aren't on while the vehicle is parked with lights on and engine off.

Ron's solution was to fit a relay(power to break contact) and buzzer between the fog and ignition switches - fogs on and ignition on, no circuit, no buzzer - fogs on and ignition off, circuit made, buzzer sounds

Normal relay; one side of coil fed in parallel with side lights, on load side of switch; other side of coil connected to load side of relay & a push to make "push switch". Side lights on & push fog switch = fog on & held on because main current is now flowing -- switch off sides & coil circuit broken so main relay contact opens =fog off & cannot come back on until push switch is closed again. Sorry don't do computer graphics. Might need the fog to be fed from ignition & sides to be switched earth for my solution. BUT WHAT THE HELL ---Florin is road legal & only needs to comply with rules at date of IVA test when MOT comes up.

I know what you mean. You're talking about a latching relay set up.

The problem is with that, is that you need to turn off the lights to make the fog light "unlatch" which you may not want to do especially at night when the fog clears up.

I am looking into the possibility of creating a circuit inside a relay box which would work on momentary type switches and / or toggle switches that GBS have been selling up to now.

I have seen a nice 3 transistor circuit that may do the trick.

This may all be a paper exercise as the rules on the IVA are cleared up and this may not even be required yet.

Simon.

Are you sure that doesn't apply to the front fogs which are optional, but rear fogs are mandatory. No sign of the word option relating to rear fogs, except for an optional nearside light in the manual available to download on the gov.co.uk website.

Bob, I think you're almost there, but rear fogs can only come on in conjunction with dipped or main beam, so your power for the coil would have to come from one or both of these. Would a change over relay from dip to main beam drop the power from dip and deactivate the push switch?

I know what you mean about being road legal, but aren't we about trying to fins solutions for new and upcoming builders?