Gbs Zero

Guest gdc

I had a 93 Mondeo. The light switch was turn for headlights & pull for the rear foglight. When you turned off the lights, the switch latched back in turning off the rear fog until you pulled it back out again.

Something mechanical like that would be easier to install (for me anyway!) than fancy electrickery.

Bob

Education would be a better solution, On the spot fines or camera evidence backed postal fines for all the numpties who can't be bothered to assess road conditions & appropriate use of lighting. Pretty soon we'll have ( maybe already??) drivers blaming the technology of the vehicle instead of their own actions for incidents/accidents. Am I sounding more of a MOG than usual?? ( Miserable old git)

as off June 2013, NONE of the current "in build" Zero's comply with IVA, this includes the factory cars, AND all other kit producers, including the big boys.

to be fair, most of the test stations have not realised the change either, the one that found out in August has queried the changes, and it may well be reversed, but it might stand.

sorry to cause this long discussion.

I thought the paragraph above that appears to have caused it was clear, but clearly not.

found this on ebay a couple of weeks ago

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CARTEK-Rear-Fog-Light-Switch-Control-Unit-meets-latest-IVA-regulations-Kit-cars-/380708198630?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item58a3fa18e6

thought strange, talked to local test station, they checked manual and said yes it applies and that they new of no kit that complied.

However

they thought the wording was ambiguous and said they would refer to those above.

phoned them today, it is being re worded at next issue.

It is NOT a requirement but MAY be fitted.

hope no one has bought one, unless they want that feature.

Bit of bad luck for car tek.

Twenty posts ago I said it MAY be fitted after reading Steve's post that quoted " may be" So pretty much all that followed was an exercise in over-reaction.

Still made for a good long post on an other-wise mediocre day.

• Like 1

clear as mud, 'it may well be reversed, but it might stand'

The manual is being reworded at next issue doesn't necessarilly mean it is being removed and as it is in there at present any cars presenting for IVA may well be tested for it until the new edition is available.

If it wasn't such an issue there really was no need to mention it in the first place.

clear as mud, 'it may well be reversed, but it might stand'

The manual is being reworded at next issue doesn't necessarilly mean it is being removed and as it is in there at present any cars presenting for IVA may well be tested for it until the new edition is available.

If it wasn't such an issue there really was no need to mention it in the first place.

You are quite right, words on a page may never change, OR the interpritation made of them.

I never mentioned the fog light in my original post, although it has been assumed it was what refering to.

it not an issue, it never was, It was only mentioned, three pages ago, to make a point.

The point, has dissapeared into the mists of time, as has the original thread.

I think that, in itself, affirms what I was trying to say, however badly.

the last post was to try to clarify, but also appears to have been badly worded.

my appologies, if required.

C'est la vie

JMHO

Edited by knights_templar

I quite like the idea of a set of boards made up, but I'd be tempted to go a little step further and make a programmable microcontroller control unit than can do a few circuits as well as just the fog light. Future proof things a little. Think of it as a "mini-PDM", a bit more cost effective and less user-customiseable. Would probably have to identify some decent switching transistors and/or power relays depending on what circuit ratings you wanted to switch (anyone know what 'proper' PDMs use inside them to switch high-load 20A circuits for example? They're too compact to be out-and-out conventional relays).

You could incorporate a lights-on warning buzzer as well as fog light cancellation. Intermittent, variable wipe. Auto wipe on wash. Additional clearance wipe a few seconds after a wash. Indicator buzzer. Probably other things too but I can't think of many with so few a set of circuits as we have on a Hood :)

A lot of transistors and MOSFETs can now handle this sort of current quite easily. (With adequate protection)

I was thinking of something similar along those lines of adding a micro controller into the loom somewhere as well. Kind of like a cheap immobiliser etc.

Your wish list has interested me. I could also add automatic lights like the ones on my Renault too.

... Hmm, getting me thinking, it is ...

Simon.

Will have to browse Farnells ma-hoo-sive catalogue again some time :) picking a tran/'fet from their search criteria always feels like a lucky dip to me!

There's some cool things you can do with a high-end PDM like MoTeC's but we're probably going to veer a little off base here... I've got mine tapped into the CAN bus so I monitor water temperature off the ECU and switch the cooling fan accordingly. I can also do speed-sensitive wipers, for example. You're right though, I think the only limitation is the number of circuits you can switch/monitor, and your imagination. Or just borrow a high-end Merc S-class and take notes, I imagine :D.

One thing you could incorporate, all newer cars now turn off all lights when turning the key to zero, to put say your park lights on without the key you have to turn the light switch off then back on, this system may find itself being the norm

Will have to browse Farnells ma-hoo-sive catalogue again some time :) picking a tran/'fet from their search criteria always feels like a lucky dip to me!

There's some cool things you can do with a high-end PDM like MoTeC's but we're probably going to veer a little off base here... I've got mine tapped into the CAN bus so I monitor water temperature off the ECU and switch the cooling fan accordingly. I can also do speed-sensitive wipers, for example. You're right though, I think the only limitation is the number of circuits you can switch/monitor, and your imagination. Or just borrow a high-end Merc S-class and take notes, I imagine :D.

i feel so dumb :help:

• Like 1