Supercharging An Mx5 Engine

richardm6994

It's an interesting article and highlights that it's not just about power gains but the whole package. Clutch, brakes and suspension set up are just as important.

Still loving Streamers updates. Wish I could fabricate like he does.

• Like 1

We've had a fantastic day at terry and Linda's today....tinkering in garage followed by bacon butties followed by a walk around the local fair.

The trial fit of the supercharger was successful thanks to everything being identical between the mock-up engine and Terry's actual engine.

Terry has a couple of radiator hoses that need relocating (nothing major) and a hole needs cutting in the bonnet which was expected.

The trial fitment today highlighted the bypass valve (yet to be fitted) needs a different location to the position I had in mind....so I'm glad we trailed it today before machining the outlet plenum!

Next job now is to machine the outlet plenum. It's going to be machined from a single piece of aluminium so should finish off the project nicely!

Here's a few photos from the trial fitment;

67559E9E-A727-40E2-B101-2B803FA8FD44_zps84pwnfyr.jpg

11D08943-0D9B-474E-8BD9-DA07D48FA3D8_zps2dkvh7bk.jpg

EEB0CE2D-E42B-4048-A447-CE4485CE82EC_zpsbe4gap5x.jpg

C35D88F8-D3A4-468E-8235-CC22890DE939_zpspkxato1x.jpg

Edited by steamer
  • Like 1

Really pleased with the fit. Dropped in place in less than 5 mins... Fits like a glove.

A few mods to Rich's original thoughts for the blow off valve, but nothing major.

Will definately need to make a larger cut out in the bonnet (where's Marcus lol). Hopefully keeping cut out within the bonnet side bulge profile...

This things going to fly.... Can't wait.

Cracking job Rich...

Edited by tazzzzman1
  • Like 3

Guest kevinflyingpeanut

That supercharger is definitely going to need the attention of a Dremel, will you be ready for your Blyton session Terry?with regret I can't make it across on the 4th but good luck. Kevin