Supercharging An Mx5 Engine

richardm6994

So I've been trying to remove the supercharger pulley to fit a smaller one.

A word of advice to anyone attempting this.....the pulley is a press fit onto the shaft, however I think the 2 pieces of metal were forged together in the heart of a dieing sun!!!!!!

Having spent 1 evening with a pulley puller and failing.....then making my own special puller and still failing....I gave up and it eventually succumbed to the angry grinder and hacksaw...falling to the floor in 2 halves!!!!

Now that's done....lets get this project finished!

I must admit it did look a challenge when we were checking out the smaller pulley... Glad you got it off in the end. Sounds as if it was on for life... :db:

Hope the new one goes on a bit easier :acute:

• 2 weeks later...

That's our kitchen bob.....the good lady has let me rebuild the supercharger indoors.

But now it's back in the garage and fitted to the engine.....everything rechecked and it all still works okay....so that's my bit of the project finished and I hand over to terry next Saturday......although there is still one little finishing touch I'm waiting for ;)....so there will be 1 last photo when it arrives.....but for now;

207DD23F-416B-46EC-A4E5-CECE53B72D80_zpsbzq0fnrb.jpg

Edited by steamer
  • Like 3

That's our kitchen bob.....the good lady has let me rebuild the supercharger indoors.

How do you get away with building things in the kitchen Richard????? SWMBO :give_rose: will not allow me within a foot of our new kitchen table with a spanner in my hand :( let alone build anything in there. So I'm stuck out in the shed.

still its a fab bit of engineering you have made there :good:

• Like 1

How do you get away with building things in the kitchen Richard????? SWMBO :give_rose: will not allow me within a foot of our new kitchen table with a spanner in my hand :( let alone build anything in there. So I'm stuck out in the shed.

still its a fab bit of engineering you have made there :good:

you mean to say yours dont let you use the dishwasher for cleaning engine parts ??? mine does

• Like 1