Supercharging An Mx5 Engine

richardm6994

Yes the amount of torque achieved was really surprising. On first run we had 165lbs at 2500 revs...compared to a normal 1.8 MX5 of 65lbs almost 3x the amount :crazy: :crazy:

Now we have it coming in a bit steadier so much more driveable....

I'm gonna take some catching next year no matter which way the cars pointing :rofl: ..

Well here we go with the next installment..

Today was just to tidy up a few loose end and do a final power run for the 2nd map. Even fitted a nice shiney new air filter

Got the car warmed up and went into first power run. at 6K revs noticed a drop in power so immediately shut down. Tried to restart and engine sruggled to crank.........oh dear :crazy:

So tried to crank by hand and engine was very tight..........oh s@it :crazy:

Took of rocker cover and found cams to be dry of oil. so checked oil pressure by cranking engine over a few time....0

Looking like a knackered oil pump, which for an MX5 is a bit unusual.

Took the sump off and look what we found waiting inside

post-2721-0-66047200-1418764259_thumb.jpg

Not looking too good. So proceeded to strip out the oil pump. Pump was very gritty and hard to turn. As soon as Mike said this he looked at me and asked......have you just fitted a different CAM cover?

Er yes last Friday, a nice freshly powder coated one...why?

Did they shot blast it by any chance?

Yes but it was cleaned several times, scrubbed and flushed with petrol so I'm confident no debris was inside.

Mike then said yep, its your CAM cover thats caused the problem. They have seen 5 other cars (MX5's not Sr2'S) suffer the same/ similar issue over the years, the last just a few weeks ago. The MX5 seems to be particularly susceptible.

So now I have an engine that is no more than scrap sat in the Sr2.....knackered big ends, main bearings, scored bores, cam bearings etc etc... :sorry: :sorry: :sorry: :sorry:

And all for a nice shiney rocker cover....doh!

Ah well that means I have a further excuse to play in the garage over Xmas hols, re-building and cleaning the spare engine. Bits ordered tonight :db: and letter sent to Santa

A massive thanks though to Mike at Roadrunner and his guys for the efforts in stripping the car down to find the problem and the time spent stopping me from slitting my wrists...

So looks like next power runs will be finalised in the new year.... I'll keep you posted

This year has taught me a lot of things and some things just aren't worth worrying too much about....sometimes s#it just happens. At least it couldn't have happened in a more convenient place.... 8) 8)

Keith, small particles of shot blast seem to become lodged into the casting. These beads remain attached despite vigorous cleaning attempts. When they get hot and in oil they become dislodged and work their way into ghe engine, effectively becoming a grinding paste. Because the car was sat all weekend we think all the crap went into the sump, which then got passed through oil pump on 1st run... Causing catastrophic failure....

Thanks for the support guys...

I have been busy on stripping down the spare engine to see if its any good, as I didn't know the condition or if it was even a runner....

Opened her up and apart from some very dark oil...the internals look to be pristine. Checked big ends and mains and all looks good. No scoring in bores either, thank God... :clapping:

Now on with the cleaning, painting and polishing before the rebuild. Going to do a full rebuild this time including new head gasket, and re-seating valves etc...just to be on the safe side :crazy:....

Looks like some busy times ahead 8)

Opened her up and apart from some very dark oil...the internals look to be pristine. Checked big ends and mains and all looks good. No scoring in bores either, thank God.

So the mystery of the m4 nut that I'm sure fell down the spare plug hole continues......:)

See you Saturday

Guest mower man

Hi Terry b----cks what a blow ! but you will over come I,m sure but you may have saved me some pain , i bought a camcover last week with the intention of shot /bead blast and powder coating with out taking Tokio Rose of the road, started to stip off paint /powdercoat then thought perhaps I'll have it blasted seeing the above has made the descision for me NO ! so its back to scrape /rub etc or post paint strip /acid clean , afew years ago when I was building engines every week we used paint stripper and or caustic solution on engine parts and hot power wash afterwards plus parts cleaner wash never had a prob but company has gone along with eqiupment used and i dont want to set up for 1 camcover so more research -------- if Ican help in any way get in touch mick :aggressive: :search: :sorry: