Supercharging An Mx5 Engine

richardm6994

Mike at Roadrunner had an MNR come in yesterday to have new ECU fitted to its MX5 lump. Before starting any work he noticed a nice shiny freshly powder coated CAM cover. Asked the owner if it had been shot blasted, he said no it hadn't....mike asked him to check. Yep it had. The guy only fitted it the weekend and drove the car to Roadrunner from Bradford. Gonna drain oil and check for any damage tomorrow.... Unbeliveable...

Edited by tazzzzman1

Guest 2b cruising

Hi Terry. Have you any ideas yet how after cleaning

no

you know what to do then. Just to be safe.

If I do any in the future it will be the buffing wheel.

• 1 month later...

WOOO HOOO....She lives :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

Got the replacement engine in yesterday, fitted in nicely. Put the charger back on and all connected up. Bearing in mind I do not have the provenance of this engine so was unsure if it was a runner. All looked good when I stripped it apart. New Head gasket, oil seals etc.

Started 1st turn of the key 8) Running as sweet as a nut..

Now on with the build again.....Big relief! Mike at Roadrunner and Dave at Canems are going to complete the mapping this week. Mike is also re-routing the coolant hoses to make them a neater fit around the charger. So if no more drama's engine should be sorted by the weekend.

Next week I'm back at Roadrunner and having the intercooler fitted. Mike is fabricating some nice ally piping (something more for me to polish :rofl: ) and having the wipers fitted.

Soon be on the road.......I hope :clapping:

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

New engine in and running......

Only problem we had was a slipping clutch. Seems the new engine is a tad more powerful than the original. 1st run without doing any tweaks or set ups spun the wheels on the rolling road. 2nd run with 4 of us sat on the car it reached 195lb torque 7psi boost at 5k revs but clutch was slipping...

Hmmm now engine is too powerful ( is that possible?) now need to pop engine out again and fit stage 1 racing clutch. Ho hum.... This project will be finished....can't wait to see final figures

• Like 5