Supercharging An Mx5 Engine

richardm6994

Well a productive day today. Engine back out, stage1 racing clutch fitted. Engine back in, fired up and running in less than 4hrs..... Think I'm getting used to this engine removal malarkey lol..

Started to panic when I couldn't select gears, however Roadrunner mechanic Nick sorted it out when we realised clutch pedal throw was too much. All adjusted and working fine. Hope to get it back on the rollers next week to complete this saga... Fingers crossed.

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

Okay, though it about time for an update.... 8)

Been busy on the car today and made some real progress. Got the wipers fitted and working and chassis modified to accommodate the wiper boxes. Also Mike modified the chassis around the Diff to prevent the much increased Torque trying to twist the diff out the mounts....job done:

post-2721-0-68470100-1425751425_thumb.jpg

Then after a quick check and clean, scuttle refitted and out for a little test drive, after all sun was making a guest appearance and it seemed rude not to. Mike had his new demo car on throttle bodies ready, so a quick 15 mile blat to his garage workshops ready for final tuning on the rolling road.

post-2721-0-54568600-1425751290_thumb.jpg

post-2721-0-84916300-1425751355_thumb.jpg

All I can say is OMG.....!!!

I'm gonna have to get some lighter feet and some bigger cahoonies.... Had the car sideways out of the first corner, still smiling now...

And the noise is.....yep LOUD... The demo car was quick but quiet, mine was quicker but a screaming Lion coming down the road. Felt sorry for the guy walking the dog when the dog nearly pulled him through the hedge as I went passed. He never blinked when Mike in the Demo car in front went past first. :diablo: :db:

After final mapping next week I can hopefully get the car home and finish off fitting the black mesh over the bonnet hole and a few other bits and bobs ready for the Highlands trip. Mike reckons a further 20-30 ponies are waiting to be released. Just hope the new clutch and engine holds together...

A good day all in all :clapping: :clapping:

• Like 3

Glad it's all going well fella ..be amazing to see and hear it.

Looks amazing attention to detail...as always.

Glad all's gone well...who said you have to slow down the older you get.. 8) 8)

Yes....finally there :clapping: :clapping:

Car now finally mapped. 230bhp and 202Lbs of torque on Kamikaze setting. 190 bhp and 190lbs torque on normal driving map setting. (I'll try to post some graphs later) all on 7 PSI boost

Car ran well, just needed a bit of tweaking on the verniers and some work on the Silicone hoses to prevent them collapsing on idle (When not on boost charger creates a vacuum which can collapse hoses).

So Saturday will be load the car up on the trailer (Rich that means you need to make some room back in your garage for the trailer.... 8) ) and then get it home for a bit of polishing and a few tidy up jobs in prep for Scotland. Just need to fit the washer system and I'm ready to go...

Here's hoping for some sunny stuff the weekend so I can start to put in a few shakedown miles in advance..

Its been a long journey but finally got there.

Cant say big enough thanks to Rich for the engineering input and sheer hours invested in the charger and for the long loan of the trailer, and also for Mike at Roadrunner who has really looked after me during the troubles we initially had and all the hrs of work him and his guys have input into the car..

Oh and for Shafts little touch of finesse to the charger :drinks:

Thanks to you all :aggressive: :aggressive:

Edited by tazzzzman1
  • Like 4

Excellent news Terry, look forward to a run out soon :) Some nice torque numbers there too, should be fun trying to keep the rubber connected to the road

Definately up for a run out sometime Rob....Its been a long long winter :db: Just need to retrain the right foot and make sure its in sync with the brain....This is going to be one noisy-rapid ride. :crazy: :crazy:

I can honestly say it was a pleasure and privilege...... and on the back of this project RedSeven has received an order for a Tiger zetec supercharger which I'll be starting in a fortnight and also a locost mx5 supercharger for later on in the year.

Also full credit to Mike at Roadrunner. He's really finished the project well!!!

Can't wait to see and hear it it in the flesh!

• Like 1

I can honestly say it was a pleasure and privilege...... and on the back of this project RedSeven has received an order for a Tiger zetec supercharger which I'll be starting in a fortnight and also a locost mx5 supercharger for later on in the year.

Also full credit to Mike at Roadrunner. He's really finished the project well!!!

Can't wait to see and hear it it in the flesh!

Is that the one on locost that had an m45 before?

i might be in that zetec charger queue to, i,m going to start building another engine soon in readiness for forced induction 8)

Dan you don't need any forced induction, you already blow enough hot air :rofl: :rofl: :vava:

• Like 3