Supercharging An Mx5 Engine

richardm6994

Not a lot of progress to report this week as late nights at work plus a weekend away starting from tomorrow.

I've rebuilt the supercharger and roughly mounted it on the engine to ponder the next step with mounts......I actually think 4 tie wraps work really well so it could save me a load of work ;)

image_zpsf55af57f.jpg

image_zpsb58c66f5.jpg

• Like 1

We'll shield / insulate it as best as we can but we're stuck with the location of the charger as there's no where else it can go and still fit under the bonnet.

There will probably be some bhp lost because of the exhaust heat, but this will be outweighed by the bhp gained in having the supercharger even though it's not ideally located.

Hi Alan

Yes it will get a tad warm, but is the standard way to supercharge the MX5 lump, I have the manifold wrapped, but as Rich says it may loose a couple of horses due to heat. However from 140 to 220bhp+ I think loosing a few is not really too much of an issue :db:

• 1 month later...

So I decided to replace the tie wraps that where holding the supercharge on with something more substantial.

This is the front engine bracket. It's still unfinished as more metal can be removed, corners smoothed etc...

The 3 slots are for the supercharger saddle to bolt to and gives adjustment to align the pulley...

image_zps3d1b85c6.jpg

And the rear (loads of tidying still needed here)

image_zpsf8426fa7.jpg

And mounted to the engine...

image_zpsc8530042.jpg

Currently I'm machining the supercharger saddle. I'm still a way off completing it as the tensioner pulley will be fixed to it, but it gives you an idea...(note that the long length of steel has been left until I'm sure exactly how much to cut off)

image_zpsc1604f4a.jpg

It's machined at an angle to incline the supercharger slightly for a better fitment in the engine bay

And mounted to the engine bracket...

image_zps012b1cfb.jpg

And some pics with the supercharger bolted on...

image_zpsfd615a96.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I'm going to do tonight's update in a over a few posts. I've just typed out the whole thing with photo's and it's thrown a fit trying to load them onto the forum and I lost everything I'd typed...

so here I go again....

There is still a quite a way to go yet with the front bracket as loads of excess metal is still to be removed. Nevertheless, it is taking shape....

Routing the belt took a few attempts before I was happy with it's location. The main problem is that the "natural" route of the belt clashes with the front of the water pump pulley and so you have to dog-leg around.

To achieve this dog-leg needed an idled pulley. So I've used a ford mondeo pulley and I've machined the shaft to set it the correct distance from the bracket face....

image_zps5559015e.jpg