Supercharging An Mx5 Engine

richardm6994

Guest old_timbo

Hope your not going to curse me, but my 106 idler has just started rattling! Mine was off my sons 106 when I did a belt change and had probabaly done a gazillion miles, but it felt OK when I fitted it. Hoping it didn't fail because it is running much faster than when on a cam belt. Might be because the alignment could have been better. I'll improve the mount, try a new one and hope I get more than 1100 miles out of it.

Guest Ian & Carole

Terry is that chuffed he posted twice with excitement!!

I see you have Dans trailer in your workshop Rich, just looking after it for him ?? :rofl: :rofl:

• 1 month later...

I've made a start on the inlet pipe today. It's a bit ahead of sequence but it's been playing on my mind so I thought I'd have a go at it.

The pipe is 2.5" dia going to a 6"x1.5"(approx) oval. Unfortunately the oval is too long to simply squash the pipe into the correct shape so I've had to do a far bit of cutting, welding and grinding to achieve the right shape.

I'm pretty happy with how it's turned out.

image_zpsff1b683f.jpg

image_zpsf11ec1b4.jpg

• Like 2

I've got myself another MX5 1.8 Nevada with a genuine 15k from new. I'd love to fit a turbo but the insurance company will probably triple the premium. Anyone looked into this?

• 7 months later...

Well, I can't believe it's been so long since I did anything on this project! My life change at the beginning of January and in that time, the wife and I parted, I've become chairman of this amazing club, I've move house 3 time (the last time back to my original house), had to rebuilt the front of my garage and now have a 7 year old girl and a new misses keeping me busy!!!

Finally, after 7 months or so, this weekend saw Marsh-Engineering back up and running better than ever......

Right then, the first thing was to raise the charger about 10mm because I wasn't happy with how close it came to the exhaust....now I have about 12mm clear of the exhaust.....still close but I'm reluctant to go any higher due to bonnet clearance.

F0E53DAE-BCED-4F89-8DC1-49C08E6E425F_zpstnxpaylv.jpg

Edited by steamer

The rear charger bracket picks up on the manifold....not ideal given the heat but this was the only pick-up point available

F0E53DAE-BCED-4F89-8DC1-49C08E6E425F_zpstnxpaylv.jpg

Next job....fixing the throttle body to the charger....plate cut but didn't have a holesaw the correct size for the hole so I'll be borrowing one from work tomorrow...;

46C19FFC-D3E3-4313-B3BC-28432BB6F6F4_zps8fqtwj0t.jpg

Edited by steamer