Teflon Based Oil Adative

owlman2222

Bit of a long story but my work has just invited a new company to supply new lubricants to us and have been on training courses with the suppliers,

I got talking about there different product and they supply oil to F1 and most other motor sports, they have a oil additive that is Teflon based and have done test on sports bikes and for every 100bhp they gained 5bhp,

They say this is done by improving the seal between piston ring and bore and reducing friction on all moving parts. The only reason this is not on the mass market is due to licensing laws they can only supply to industries.

Has anyone come across products like this before and do they work. the write up seems really good.

The new lubricants that they have bought to our work nock the socks off our old lubricants they seam to know what they are doing.

i am not looking to buy the F1 oil well not at £1000 per Litter but there adative (still waiting on price but in the regon on £20 per bottle)

I remember using Slick 50 when it first came on the market on old Mk1 V6 Granada I had.

It was supposed to be added once every 30,000 miles I think.

It slightly quietened the tapping of the engine, but I didn't notice any increase in power, if I remember.

But that could have been due to a thousand and one things with the old V6 Granny

Guest mower man

I ve used Wynns,STP and Lucas in the past ,not sure about performance gains but wynns esp has saved a few engines. Not sure that modern oils require any additional helpbut so long as it doesent curdle any thing up why worry . 5 brake on an oil change is to me bull crap but all the stuff put out is probably as bad / good , I am about to give Millers 20/60 a try good reports no stupid claims but I ihave used their deisel eng oil over quite a period with no dramas . Like what is often said if it looks too good to be true it probably is mower man :acute: :crazy:

I read an article not too terribly long ago on the history of Slick 50. The manufacturers of Teflon (Dupont) did at one point refuse to sell to the makers of Slick 50 because they knew full well that their product wouldn't work at the temps encountered in an engine. They didn't want to be associated with any bad press if someone looked at the snake-oil effect and proved that Teflon was no good to add to the lubricant in a car engine. Slick 50 got around it by not using Dupont's trademark of Teflon and simply calling it PTFE.

Pre '84 I believe Slick 50 used soft metal particles rather than PTFE.

Iain