Zero Iva Fail

Guest aidankinnell

Guest aidankinnell

Had my IVA today in Southampton, conducted by Andy from their office. I had mixed reviews about Southampton but all I can say is that Andy was helpful, complimentary of the car and genuinely seemed like he wanted the car to pass. However it failed, some more major issues than others but overall nothing too worrying.

1) Exhaust 109db instead of the 99bd limit - using small silencer bought as an early GBS exhaust

2) Brake bias - failed on the rollers, suggested that I need the Sierra brake valve (G-Valve?)

3) Differential - extra washers required rather than the GBS spacers supplied

4) Key switch in dash protrudes too much

5) Bolt in passenger compartment needs a cap

6) Trim on rear supports and centre console edges

7) Fuel lines - extra support in engine bay

8 ) VIN letter sizing - 3mm numbers rather the required 3.5mm. Also some rusting from the rain enroute.

9) Column shroud - required on the lower half of the column to tidy up block any ignition wiring

10) Steering column rubber mount had slipped - needs securing!

11) Rubber boot on the coil positive

Nothing too difficult except for the brakes, I had new drums and discs so maybe a mistake on my part. Exhaust is a cost I'd rather without.

A big thank you to Bob & Mo who picked up the car on Sunday and trailered it (& me) down to Southampton and waited around whilst VOSA completed the test, had tea and lunch before releasing my car.

If inertia valve fitted ( as it is in Florin) the old fashioned test using the "Tapley Meter" is the way forward, the car being tested on a stretch of road outside the test station. Sure that's how Florin's brakes were proven to be correct; but was near 3 years ago.

My Zero had discs front, drums rear, all brand new also. At the IVA the rears where initially stronger than the fronts but the tester sat with the front wheels on the rollers and just kept pumping the pedal to bed the pads in whilst he filled some paperwork in. 5 mins later and he was happy with the figures.

I used a Focus restrictor on my rear pipe to limit rear braking, passed fine in June, that's with discs all round 283mm front and 273mm rears.

Std Sierra master cylinder.

I should think one of them would reduce the rears a fair bit, maybe too much for drums?

Guest aidankinnell

My Zero had discs front, drums rear, all brand new also. At the IVA the rears where initially stronger than the fronts but the tester sat with the front wheels on the rollers and just kept pumping the pedal to bed the pads in whilst he filled some paperwork in. 5 mins later and he was happy with the figures.

In hindsight I should have got him to retest.

I used a Focus restrictor on my rear pipe to limit rear braking, passed fine in June, that's with discs all round 283mm front and 273mm rears.

Std Sierra master cylinder.

I should think one of them would reduce the rears a fair bit, maybe too much for drums?

Sounds like a good idea. Have seen some brake pressure valves on the web, assume these would be what you're referring to? Here's an example: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-Mondeo-Brake-Pressure-Reducing-Valve-1996-2000-/261284902186

One other thought. Is the brake system plumbed correctly? Outlet nearest the pedal for the rears and outlet/s furthest from pedal for the fronts.

There was another builder who had the same issue caused by the above no too long ago

In hindsight I should have got him to retest.

Sounds like a good idea. Have seen some brake pressure valves on the web, assume these would be what you're referring to? Here's an example: http://www.ebay.co.u...0-/261284902186

Hi,

The link below shows what I used, two are shown here for the focus twin rear cicuits but you only need one, std fittings on each end...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-Focus-MK1-98-04-1-8-TDCi-Diesel-NON-ABS-Brake-Master-Cylinder-/111165119954?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item19e1f51dd2#ht_847wt_1005

Cheers

Tony.R

• 4 months later...
Guest aidankinnell

Finally got my retest booked, now 3 weekends to get everything together ready for the 25th Feb!

Should have got this sorted earlier but a new baby and Christmas interrupted that plan.

Hi Aidan, Sorry to hear about your IVA fail. Doesn't seem like anything you can't easily sort. I am a little worried though as I am in the early stage of my build and have the diff installed with the GBS spacers. Did the test station say why they did not like the spacers. I went to a lot of trouble measuring the width for the spacers and having then all ground to the correct width. Regds Fil.

Hi Aidan,

Another thing you can do with the brakes, if the rear are locking before the front, is to put more air in the front tyres than the rear. I think I ran with 18 in the rear and 23 front. Good until the brakes bed in.

Nige