Wheel Spacers

Guest mark little

Guest mark little

hello all,

needing pointed in the right direction again, is it possible to get 3inch wheel spacers for the back axle, the type that bolt to the existing wheel studs and have new studs attached, at present my rear wheels, which are minilites are 4inch inside the outer edge of the rear mudguards, if it is possible does anybody know where I can get some.

cheers Mark

Guest chris brown

I think 4" spacers would put far too much strain on the wheel bearings you would get away with, a live axle might stand it, but not independent as the twisting moment would be far too great.

• 1 month later...
Guest Baldygitt

I think the OP is trying to overcome the problem of his wheels not having enough offset. If the wheels are say from a front wheel drive car then spacers will only help his offset problem and cause no bearing harm

I don't like spacers. Having said that however if you have bought wheels with the wrong offset for your car and spacers effectively give you the correct offset then there should be no problem. The centre of the tyre on its wrong offset wheels plus the spacers will be where it ought to be if it were on wheels with the correct offset. All bearing forces should be the same.

Still sounds horrible though and offset wrong by 76mm. What car were the wheels meant for?

Nigel

• 1 month later...
Guest mark little

hi all,

totally forgot i posted this, the wheels came with the car, 13 inch mini lite style. the offset isn't stamped on the rear of the wheel but like you say all I really need are wheels that have a deeper rim from the front face to the back of the hub. anybody know of any that may be suitable, I've already tried the wheels off my grasstracker, 4 spoke RS alloys, saxo alloys and the new wheels off my daughters Fiesta, all no good going in the wrong direction and actually catching the bodywork. any help greatly appreciated

cheers Mark

Guest mark little

just thought of something else, does anybody know the width of the rear mudguards that came with a pre lit, it may be that the mud guards I got with the car are for something completely different.

cheers again Mark

measure the rim width and 1/2 it then measure the distance from hub face to inside edge of the rim the difference between the two is your offset. Try using this online calculator http://www.1010tires...fset-Calculator

my westy used -7 when i took it to -15 the wheels rubbed on the rear wing, accidentally tried +7 and they stuck out a mile looked great but not practical.