Superspec Front Suspension

alanrichey

I want to try and improve the ground clearance of the sump on my Superspec by moving the bottom mounting of the shocks to the hole nearest the chassis

post-12714-0-78269400-1379569446_thumb.jpg

Do I need to use a spring compressor or will jacking up the chassis, allowing the wheel/wishbone to droop, be sufficient to allow the bottom mounting to be disconnected and moved.

Sorry if this is a dumb question but I would prefer not to find out by trying it and then being unable to reassemble it :)

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd go with what Snapperpaul says, but they look like the original Zeemeride shocks, so a bit of caution is required as the mounting is under a bit of tension (if I remember) from the spring. I may be wrong about the identification though.

I changed to GAZ shocks and along with a lower standard Rover 220 sump, had plenty (ish) of ground clearance.

Now running a Zetec with a Scholar sump and have plenty of clearance, (after I had a narrow escrape with a large camber in the road!) .

Actually I have just found that a pair of coil spring compressors are very cheap on e-bay so might as well play safe and get a set for the day when I change to Gaz shocks :)

Is it simply a matter of putting the compressors in and then jacking the car up then undoing the bottom bolt and moving the mounting ? Or do I still have to undo the spring platform ? Actually not exactly sure what you mean by that, never tried this before. Can you tell me in words of one syllable ?

If you move the bottom mount inboard you increase the chance of bending a wishbone if you say hit a pot hole. the spring platform is the bit the bottom of the spring sits on, zimmers have large nuts on to adjust this, compress the spring more the ride hight goes up but you may get to the position the spring goes coil bound under normal use.

For spring compressors you will need motorbike ones, NORMAL car ones wont fit.

The shocks and damper are a self contained unit so if you jack it up it should reach its full travel and be the only thing stopping the wheel dropping further. So if you release the bolts near the end of travel with the weight of the wheel touching the floor you should be able to slowly jack the car up and the shock will come free.

The problem you may get is that to move to the top hole you may not have enough droop on the suspension to get the shock in. Which is where you would need to compress the spring a bit.

Not sure this is ideal though as the end of your suspension travel will now be the ball joints so if for some reason you left the floor the suspension would drop and the ball joints would take a hit rather than the bump stop in the damper.

If you take it off and have a look and see which bit stops first if you do change holes. You could leave it and wind the spring up a bit. Which will be easier with spring compressors anyway.

Hth

As redspec says moving the shock mount point in on the wish bone will increase the load imposed on it if you hit a pothole and you are more likely to bend the wishbone. I would invest in some decent shocks and springs and just adjust the ride height, or you may find yourself spending more in the long run.

Thanks for all the advice. I think I will just move it in one hole first and see what the effect is. If that increases the ride height enough I can leave it at that. Otherwise I will be bending a few ears at the Annual Meet :)

Had my first try this morning but eventually gave up. I can see the logic that if you jack up the chassis that at the point where the tyre leaves the ground the spring is just at it's maximum extension before it starts to lift the wishbone, and it should, in theory, be easy to remove the bottom bolts. But after multiple attempts with the bolts loosened I just couldn't find the 'sweet spot' and while I could have forcibly removed the bolts the last thing I wanted to do was take off the shock/spring and not be able to get it back on again. That way I wouldn't make the Meet next weekend :) So I think I will wait until a professional shows me how to do it. :)

Afraid I don't have a 60mm spanner. I was hoping I wouldn't need it, I obviously do. Although surely the shock is already at full length at the point where the tyre/wishbone starts to come off the floor ? Otherwise it would keep extending.

Although surely the shock is already at full length at the point where the tyre/wishbone starts to come off the floor ? Otherwise it would keep extending.

And if you move the mounting points this would stay the same! the wish bone will drop until SOMETHING stops it dropping any further.