New Iva Fog Light Requirements

PaulF2B

Hi, Yes, the buzzer will sound at any time when the fog light switch is left on when it is not allowed under the IVA rules.

This was how I interpreted the reg's. So if you have been driving in fog, then turn off your head or side lights the buzzer will sound to inform you the fog light switch was inadvertently left on. Seems to work OK this way in my testing.

I guess the ideal thing is to use a door switch in series with the buzzer, but we don't have such luxuries in a Hood :)

Until we get a few people going through their IVA's and get some feedback, we will not be 100% sure how the examiners will interpret this. The ideal thing would be if they could put the required logic in a truth table.

It will be interesting to see what response TurnipFarmer gets from VOSA.

Regards

Paul

Guest davidm

Hi folks...

OK... apart from a bit of intro stuff, this is the exact word-for-word email I sent to VOSA...

"Could you please clarify this note as it relates to a seven-style car with no doors.

As Note 4 is an either/or, am I right in thinking that option 2 would not apply to me?

It seems odd that a rear fog cannot come on with sidelights alone, but once turned on with dipped beam (or whatever), a rear fog can stay on even if the dipped beam is later turned off, provided the sidelights remain on. Is this not a contradiction?

In my case, am I right in assuming that there is no 'ignition on' requirement for any rear fog operation?

It would be useful if you could provide a statement for what the actual intent is of this new rule (eg 'It's so you have to do abc/don't accidentally do xyz' sort of thing. "

Their reply came through today. The reply is again word-for word....

"There is some confusion over the Note, the intention of note 4 was to also allow these options but not mandate them.

The requirement for the rear fog lamps are as follows:

The rear fog lamp(s) must only illuminate when dipped beam, main beam or front fog lamps are lit,

But the other conditions listed in the Note 4 will also be accepted if manufactured that way,

The manual is currently been amended"

So there you have it. Hope this helps. I can forward the original email to anyone who wants it.

Guest mower man

I think some of you have had to spend alot of time and money to achieve sod all! that rule has been the same for years !!!more Bo--ocks from who ever writes the testers so called rules/regs :aggressive: :80:

Guest Chris Russ

......just to add my two peneth!!!!........dont know how the rules changed this year regarding fog lamp operation, but mine failed last year because the fog lamps operated on side-lights as well as dipped headlights ( as per the previous posts! ) -- the tester operates the switches himself - so you cant blag it!!- So just to re-itterate, I had to use an illuminated switch ( I used the original Sierra one ) & had to wire it so it only operated on dip /main beam.......mine also failed because the fog lamps themselves were fixed directly to the rear panel - ( so pointed slightly up!! ) - lenses have to be 90' to the road, & be CE marked!

Good-Luck!

Guest snowy2

I dont see what the problem with my cct is......there is no requirement to be able to switch off the fogs independantly of the lights. Just that they go off with lights or ignition or have a warning buzzer.

So they way I see it now then from VOSA, is that you don't need a buzzer or anything unless you put (manufacture) it there?

I'm so confused now!? However, my fog will come on with sidelights and remain on from dipped to sidelights but off when all the lights are off. Would that be a fail?

Forget buzzers and everything else in Note 4.

All that matters is...

'The rear fog lamp(s) must only illuminate when dipped beam, main beam or front

fog lamps are lit'

In other words your rear fog can't be on with just sidelights alone (or no lights at all for that matter).

So yes, your current setup would fail on this point.

Guest Spencer Griffiths

I spoke to Simon at the factory last week and he said the manual is worded wrongly and is due to be amended so there is no need to do anything different. The testers know this so there should not be a problem. I believe this was posted by GBS on the Zero owners club as we'll.

Zach yours is wrong. Should not be on with sidelights.

Ok so finally got a chance to look at this, I can get a variety of different options here...

• Got it not coming on with the sidelights and dipped beams only.
  • Got it coming on with dipped and full beam however the fog gets brighter when switched to full beam
  • Fog light works with dipped and full beam however the headlights are constantly full beam when in the dipped and full position.

Need to get a proper look at the wiring again plus the switch I am using to see if two different inputs are right or if I'm even using the right wires/right point along the wires....

Does the fog get noticeably brighter between dip and main beam? It sounds like the main beam draws less current than dip.

You "could" add a ballast resistor in parallel with the main beam to load the circuit which would make the fog light not switch in brightness (so much).

Anyway, I think it only has to "light up" on dip and main only as they cannot asses "brightness" really (unless it is really dim like side lights 5 Watt stuff)

Simon.

• 1 year later...