New Iva Fog Light Requirements

PaulF2B

Hi,

Having read this carefully, I interpret the following as thus:

a) An audible warning, additional to the mandatory tell-tale light, must be activated if the ignition is switched off

B) or the ignition key is withdrawn and the driver's door is opened,

c) whether the lamps in (RS4) are on or off, whilst the rear fog lamp switch is in the "on" position.

So I believe compliance is achieved by ignoring line B) and reading the wording as:

An audible warning, additional to the mandatory tell-tale light, must be activated if the ignition is switched off, whether the lamps in (RS4) are on or off, whilst the rear fog lamp switch is in the "on" position.

I figure that using a double pole single throw switch for the fog light and connecting the second circuit to a buzzer wired through a (normally closed) relay to ensure circuit is only live when ignition is off will achieve an audible warning if the fog light switch is left on with the ignition off.

Cheers

Nige

As I read it there is no requirement for the fogs to be switched off independent of the sidelights however I have a circut which will allow fogs to be switched on only if thd ignition is on AND sidelights are on but that will switch off the fogs if either the ignition is switched off or the sides or the fog light switch it needs two relays and a off/on/momentary switch. I will show some diagrams later.

iva-fogs_zps021250b0.png

The above circuit uses the first relay to power the fog light switch, as soon as the ignition is switched on there will be power available to the fog light switch. this is a Off/on/momentary switch. these are commonly available for wash/wipe use. this in turn gives a power source for the latching relay....this relay is only activated if the momentary switch is pressed.

so in practice to operate the fog lights the ignition has to be on and also the side lights then the fog light switch turned to "on" and the momentary switch pressed, the fog lights come on and the dash warning lamp will illuminate.....

if the ignition is turned off the fog lights will turn off and not come on again until the momentary is pressed again even if the fog light switch is left "on",

if the side lights are turned off the fog lights will turn off (as above)

if you wish to turn ff the fogs but leave the lights on just turn off the fog light switch off.

I'm not sure that would pass as it requires the operator to "turn on" the fog lights using TWO separate switches which is not commonly found in production cars.

You would have to turn on the latching switch, then press a button to ACTUALLY turn on the fog lights and warning light.

It would work, but is overly complicated compared to a one button option.

What would work is a J-K flip flop wired as a toggle set up with a relay and diode protection. Or use the 3 transistor circuit (if you remember not to hold the button for longer than, say, one second)

As the Hollowell is very close, I will work on a prototype next week using either of the above methods to see which is more feasible and which is the cheapest (and reliable) method.

Simon.

its just one switch it can be left in the "on" position permanently so a single momentary press switches on the fogs, the latching relay only powers up if activated. the "off" position is only to turn off the fog lights separately from the side lights or the ignition. (which is not a requirement of the IVA) this is no different to some car switches having a pull then twist to turn on the fogs.

it is possible to have standard relays latch on / off via a single momentary switch. however it needs 3 or 4 of them cascaded to do the job. yes transistors can do the job but only if you produce a completed circuit (i could make it but most lads here i think, would struggle)

my solution does all that is required at a very minimal cost and is a DIY solution as well

the latching relay is required because of the requirement to have the fogs come on via a momentary switch. this is just a standard 4/5 pin relay modified with a connecting link wire (as shown) as opposed to the "proper" latching relays sold on ebay for £20. standard relays are pennies to buy as is the wash/wipe toggle switch used to activate the fog lights.

Edited by snowy2

Quick question, I thought that IVA rules say that the fog light must not work until the dipped or main beams are switched on. So if you have a system that lights up if you have power from the ignition switch or side lights will this pass?

I had to go to great lengths to make sure my fog light only works when the dipped or main beam is on.

Cheers

Pete

I suppose you "could" label a fog light switches (two of) as "Fog on" and "Fog off" with the ON switch being n/open and the OFF being n/closed momentary type.

I'm not sure if that would be allowed under the IVA rules though. I think a lot would prefer the single button to do the two jobs.

Let's see.

Simon.

Quick question, I thought that IVA rules say that the fog light must not work until the dipped or main beams are switched on. So if you have a system that lights up if you have power from the ignition switch or side lights will this pass?

I had to go to great lengths to make sure my fog light only works when the dipped or main beam is on.

Cheers

Pete

I think that part of the rule will still apply. Fog only when dip/main are working. It's the automatic turn off when lights/ignition is turned off that is new.

Simon.

I think that would be ok. In my case with a battery isolator switch, I would be able to turn it (the buzzer) off that way.

It would mean though, that if the buzzer failed for some reason, the fog lights would still remain "live" once your turned the dip/main lights on again.

Simon.